She Code Africa Contributhon 2022

Zainab Abubakar shared today in Jenkins documentation office hours that She Code Africa may host a Contributhon in early 2022 like they did in 2021. She wanted to know if the Jenkins project was interested in being a mentoring organization again. This topic is my invitation to others to be involved in mentoring women in Africa as they begin contributing to open source software.

Sponsors

The 2021 Contributhon was sponsored by the Continuous Delivery Foundation, CloudBees, the @ Company, and DeployHub. They will be seeking sponsors for the 2022 edition. The She Code Africa site provides more information for sponsors.

Mentors

The Jenkins project was a 2021 mentoring organization for 5 women that submitted Pipeline help improvements for Jenkins plugins. If we’d like to be involved, we’ll need mentors that are willing to meet once or twice a week with the participants.

If you’re interested in being a mentor, please reply here or send email to Mark Waite

Projects

Ideas for projects include:

• Pipeline help (continue the 2021 project)
  • Terminology updates

Other project ideas are welcomed. The Contributhon lasts for one month, so the projects need to be relatively short duration. Contributhon participants are typically having their first experience contributing to open source and many are having their first experience with the Java ecosystem.

1 Like

Documentation office hour participants have identified several project ideas that we believe would be good for She Code Africa participants. We believe these would be useful additions to Jenkins and would be feasible for first-time contributors from Africa to complete in a 4 week development cycle, spending 10-15 hours per week on the tasks.

Project ideas:

• Program / Project Management to run meetings, track progress of the candidates, identify concerns, and help with issues - mentored by Mark Waite
  • Inclusive naming initiative to replace deprecated terms (“master”, “slave”, “whitelist”, “blacklist”) in selected plugins with their replacement terms - mentored by the Docs SIG (Meg McRoberts, Kristin Whetstone, Dheeraj Singh Jodha)
  • Screenshot updates for www.jenkins.io based on Jenkins 2.332.1 or later - mentored by Docs SIG
  • Test the tutorials and report issues with the tutorials - mentored by the Docs SIG (Meg McRoberts, Kristin Whetstone, Dheeraj Singh Jodha)
  • Test automation - convert JUnit 3 tests to JUnit 4 in plugins like the git plugin, git client plugin, … - mentors not yet identified

Other suggestions, project ideas, and mentor candidates are welcomed and encouraged.

This might be a great excuse to learn browser automation tools. Screenshots as code. Some sort of yaml file mixed with cabybara/selenium/night watch/puppeteer.

@halkeye let me know if I should continue this conversation on Gitter.

I’m just curious about this idea. So, I believe clicking the screenshots as per the latest Jenkins release can be automated, we’d need 2 things (correct me if I’m wrong):

• A Jenkins site running the latest release.
  • URL of the pages of which we need to click screenshots.

For example, look at the screenshots attached here: Using credentials
There are some screenshots that are not full-page-wide screenshots, they are just a screenshot of some sub-element of the page so might need to research how can we take a screenshot of a specific section of a page (must be doable)

If this is how it should be, then moving forward, whenever someone tried to attach a screenshot to their blogpost/tutorial or anything, they’d need to also provide info about the screenshot’s location with the help of its URL or something like that.

What do you think?

I like forums cause its easier to search, and threads don’t get lost.

Doing anything with pixels is always unreliable. I haven’t looked but you should be able to do things based on selectors, but even if you cant, javascript can pull the exact pixels on screen of an element, then yea, screenshot the page and crop to the element. Lots of options.

I was kinda avoiding going into specifics, and let the *thon members and mentors figure it out if that’s something they wanted to do, it just spurred the idea from me.

1 Like

I’ve submitted 3 project proposals to the She Code Africa site, with a proposal that up to two participants for each of the project proposals. Outline documents describing the project proposals are:

Comments are welcomed on any of those project proposals.