Jenkins in GSoC 2023: Mentors, org admins, project ideas wanted!

Hi Everyone,

We are back at it again! Jenkins in GSoC 2023 discussion is now open. We had a fantastic run of GSoC 2022, we are now excited to begin GSoC 2023 preparations. This program isn’t possible without volunteers, we are looking for:

About Google Summer of Code (GSoC):

GSoC is a mentorship program focused on welcoming new contributors into the community and helping them learn best practices that will help them be long term OSS contributors.

GSoC is an annual, global program that has been for college students. In 2022 GSoC is expanding its program to encourage all newcomers of open source that are 18 years and older. The program does not solely focus on university students or recent graduates.

Google has not released their GSoC 2023 program timeline yet but we can suspect it’ll be similar to GSoC 2022 timeline in case this helps in your planning purposes.

BR,
alyssa

7 Likes

I would like to mentor again!

3 Likes

I’d like to mentor again as well.

I’m also quite interested in the project idea that @basil had suggested for automated updates of plugin build metadata. See the following page for his idea

The list that is included in that project idea is a very nice extension of the much shorter list that is included in the “Improve a Plugin” developer tutorial at

I think there is a lot of potential in that project idea, though it will need much more investigation and exploration by Google Summer of Code candidates before they could create a project proposal.

One idea suggested as an implementation technology is OpenRewrite. I believe that we’ve seen at least one case where someone used OpenRewrite to submit a change to a Jenkins plugin.

3 Likes

I would love to be org admin and mentor again

2 Likes

@MarkEWaite I would really love to be a co-mentor for the automated updates of plugin build metadata project. I can draft a prosoal for it (or with you) with you don’t mind.

1 Like

Thank you Kris, We are thrilled to have you as org admin & mentor again

2 Likes

Hi Alyssa,

As already discussed off-line, I’d love to participate again as an Org Admin for GSoC 2023.

/- Jmm

1 Like

Even if I don’t know anything about GSoC admin yet, I want to learn.
Could you please add me as an admin wanabee?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello sir I want to contribute to jenkins under your mentorship

2 Likes

I would like to contribute.

2 Likes

Hello. I would like to be a mentor.

4 Likes

Welcome back @ssbostan :wave: .

That’s fantastic news ! Do you already know what proposal you’re interested in?
Will you be available next Tuesday?
The next meeting is Tuesday December 20, 2022 at 4PM UTC. The Zoom meeting link is Launch Meeting - Zoom. It will be recorded.

Thanks @mukteshkrmishra and @ssbostan pls add yourself to any of the project ideas that you’d like to mentor (in pull requests). If you’d rather speak to Org Admins before signing up we’d be happy to set up a time to discuss.

thank you,
alyssa

1 Like

I would like to mentor this project (Docker-based Jenkins quickstart examples).

2 Likes

Thanks @poddingue
I just arrived from vacation today.
If you have any meeting for GSOC, let me know.

I want to be a part of (in order):
Jenkins Configuration as Code (JCasC) drift detector
Docker-based Jenkins quickstart examples
Building Android Apps with Jenkins

@alyssat
Keep in mind, I’m not a Java developer! Just Python and Golang :smiley:
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to this community @berviantoleo and welcome back @ssbostan :wave:

You’ll find the latest meeting video here: 2022 12 20 Google Summer of Code 2023: A Guide to Better Preparations for Candidates - YouTube

1 Like

Hello. I would like to be a mentor. @alyssat

1 Like

Welcome to this community @Lovakush :wave:

That’s fantastic news! :partying_face:

Everything is calm because of the holiday season, but you can expect news from the admins in January.
In the meantime, don’t hesitate to watch the latest meeting video, and/or interact on the various GSoC subjects which are still discussed in this forum.

Thanks for your reply. Where is the link for the latest meeting video I am new to contributing can you help me with how I can contribute to Jenkins

You’ll find the latest meeting video here: 2022 12 20 Google Summer of Code 2023: A Guide to Better Preparations for Candidates - YouTube

As for starting a contribution to Jenkins, let me quote @julieheard :wave:

Here is a few links that hopefully will be useful to you:

So I would read through those websites, then take a look at the issues Jira. When you have picked a task to work on, make a PR and wait for feedback/approvals.