Jenkins in GSoC 2023: Mentors, org admins, project ideas wanted!

Hi @berviantoleo If possible please open a PR to add your name as a mentor to the project at GitHub - jenkins-infra/jenkins.io: A static site for the Jenkins automation server. We will take things from there. Appreicate your interest in mentoring!

1 Like

Hi @ssbostan If possible pleaes open a PR to add your name as mentor for the project ideas you are interested in at GitHub - jenkins-infra/jenkins.io: A static site for the Jenkins automation server, so that we can take things from there officially. Thanks for your interest!

1 Like

Hi @Lovakush If possible please add your name as a mentor to the project idea page by a pull request at GitHub - jenkins-infra/jenkins.io: A static site for the Jenkins automation server, so we can take things from there officially. Thanks for your interest in mentoring!

1 Like

How can I add my name as a mentor?

So you can add your name here to any one of these projects: jenkins.io/content/projects/gsoc/2023/project-ideas at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. Then add an adoc with your username as the file name at jenkins.io/content/_data/authors at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. If you would like to add an image to your profile as well, you can add it at jenkins.io/content/images/avatars at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. All should ideally be done in the same pull request.

What should I do after adding the lovakush.adoc file to Jenkins-infra/Jenkins.io?

Hi @Lovakush We will contact you shortly via email

Wait, did you mean the steps? You will need to open a pull request after adding your name to the project idea you are interested in mentoring. BTW @Lovakush Are you yourself new to open-source?

Hey mates. I want to be a part of the Jenkins community as a contributor. Please help me with how to start :))

2 Likes

Hello @WaqarTabish2807 and welcome to this community :wave:

You’ll find the latest meeting video here: 2022 12 20 Google Summer of Code 2023: A Guide to Better Preparations for Candidates - YouTube

As for starting a contribution to Jenkins, let me quote @julieheard :wave:

Here is a few links that hopefully will be useful to you:

So I would read through those websites, then take a look at the issues Jira. When you have picked a task to work on, make a PR and wait for feedback/approvals.

Greetings, everyone!
I am Freyam :wave:

I am thrilled to be a part of the Jenkins community. I have been a dedicated user of Jenkins for some time now and have indeed come to appreciate the value of automation in my projects. I am now excited to give back to this wonderful community by becoming a mentor for the upcoming Google Summer of Code.

As a former GSoC student at Dask in 2021 and a mentor at Joomla in 2022, I believe that Jenkins would be the perfect organization for me to continue my journey this year.

Can someone kindly guide me on how to get in touch with the right person regarding this opportunity? I have reviewed the project ideas and the mentor guidelines and would love to chat with the existing mentors.

I have created a PR ([GSoC 2023] [Mentor] Freyam Mehta by freyam · Pull Request #5905 · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub) expressing my interest in mentoring one of the following projects in the upcoming GSoC:

• Exponential backoff and jitter for agent reconnections
  • Building Jenkins.io with alternative tools
  • Plugin Installation Manager Tool Improvements

cc @krisstern

Looking forward to a great time :rocket:

2 Likes

Hello @freyam and welcome to this community :wave:
Let me quote @krisstern :wave:

So you can add your name here to any one of these projects: jenkins.io/content/projects/gsoc/2023/project-ideas at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub . Then add an adoc with your username as the file name at jenkins.io/content/_data/authors at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. If you would like to add an image to your profile as well, you can add it at jenkins.io/content/images/avatars at master · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. All should ideally be done in the same pull request.

Hey @poddingue, thanks for the welcome!

I have already completed the formal procedure and submitted a PR [GSoC 2023] [Mentor] Freyam Mehta by freyam · Pull Request #5905 · jenkins-infra/jenkins.io · GitHub. I am currently awaiting a review of it.

2 Likes

All is good then, the admins will keep you posted. :+1:

1 Like

Review completed. See comments in the pull request for the optional item and to confirm that you are OK that I cropped the picture you provided.

2 Likes

Hi @Lovakush This thread is for potential mentors and not for potential GSoC participants. For more info regarding how to start your GSoC 2023 journey properly as a contributor please head to our Gitter channel dedicated to contributors at jenkinsci/gsoc-sig - Gitter. If you would like to start your application process early you can start by contributing via pull requests. We will not be contacting you regarding mentorship anymore since it appears there has been a mistake. Ideally you should have a few pull requests submitted and reviewed by the time the GSoC application opens for contributors in March 2023.

1 Like

Hi @freyam Is there an email we can contact you by? I tried your personal website and GitHub profile (and etc.) but could not find it there. Maybe you can DM me your email address for follow-up either here on Discourse or on Gitter?

1 Like

frey77mehta@gmail.com is my primary email. Let’s connect over there.

@krisstern

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

We (org admins) have set up a session for next Thursday, January 19, 2023 @ 4pm UTC to provide insight into the role of a mentor; the time and skill commitment needed to be successful in this program and we’ll answer any questions. We would like this to be a collaborative session so come with your questions.

=================

CDF Jenkins Zoom is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: GSoC 2023 Mentor Round Up
Time: Jan 19, 2023 04:00 PM Universal Time UTC

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/91449067860

Meeting ID: 914 4906 7860
One tap mobile
+16694449171,91449067860# US
+16699006833,91449067860# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 669 444 9171 US
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 205 0468 US
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 719 359 4580 US
+1 360 209 5623 US
+1 386 347 5053 US
+1 507 473 4847 US
+1 564 217 2000 US
+1 646 931 3860 US
+1 689 278 1000 US
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 305 224 1968 US
+1 309 205 3325 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
877 853 5247 US Toll-free
888 788 0099 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 914 4906 7860
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

4 Likes

I’d love to be a mentor for the Plugin Health Scoring project!
I’ll add my name to the project idea page and open a PR soon, thanks!

2 Likes