Hey I am new here I know the basics of java and really want to contribute to Jenkins can anyone help me to make my first contribution
Hi and thank you for reaching out.
Here is a few links that hopefully will be useful to you:
- Contribute code - How to contribute to Jenkins
- jenkins/CONTRIBUTING.md at 03c380f6c451a1a05e3b0a8471f3aa06a24c3baa · jenkinsci/jenkins · GitHub - This is more detail on how to contribute, a bit more technical than the previous link
So I would read through those websites, then take a look at the issues Jira. When you have picked a task to work on, make a PR and wait for feedback/approvals.
Good luck and reach out if you get stuck/have more questions
Hello @pushker001 and welcome to this community
You could also begin with plugins instead of directly starting with Jenkins.
I particularly like the “Improve a Plugin” tutorial.
If you want a list of plugins that need that kind of improvement, let us know, we have some that need TLC.
yes please provide me so I can start the contribution and can you also tell me what I need to fix in the plugins
Here are two plugins that I just adopted. Would love to have your help.
- GitHub - jenkinsci/built-on-column-plugin: Show agent that built a job as a displayed column
- GitHub - jenkinsci/saferestart-plugin: Jenkins saferestart plugin
Both need to be modernized by following the instructions in the tutorial:
I want to work on jenkinsci/built-on-coloumn-plugins
Is the same thing I need to improve which is done in the Schedule - plugin?
Many of the same things are needed in the built-on-column plugin as were needed in the schedule build plugin.
The list from the “Improve a plugin” tutorial is:
- Add a Jenkinsfile - already done, though would be nice to have it extended to test Java 8, Java 11, and Java 17 in CI
- Update parent POM - already done
- Update Jenkins version - already done
- Update SCM URL - already done
- Add more spotbugs checks - needs to be done
- Check dependencies - needs to be done
- Use plugin bill of materials - not needed because plugin manages no dependencies in its pom file
- Enable incrementals - already done
- Migrate docs to GitHub - already done
- Add a contributing guide - needs to be done
- Report an Issue - needs to be done
GitHub bug? I don’t know other than that. I was able to fork the repository shortly after seeing your message. Try the fork operation again?
showing same message
I just double-checked, I can fork it as well with no issues.
how can I fix it it showing everytime when I try to fork
They do suggest checking to see if you have already forked the repo before. If so that’s the expected error.
Is the same message displayed for every repository you try to fork? If so, then you’ll probably need to contact GitHub support to ask for their help resolving the issue. If not, then you might consider ignoring the problem by selecting another plugin for your contributions.
What experiments have you tried relating to forking repositories on GitHub?
What attributes did you vary in your experiments? Did you try different web browsers? Did you try different computers? Did you try submitting the request from other locations?
What were the results of those experiments?
both the plugins repository that you have been mention I am not able to fork both of them
Can you fork any GitHub repository?
If not, then use the “Contact us” link on the GitHub page to request help from GitHub. It is not likely that the Jenkins project can solve the issue.
If you can fork other GitHub repositories, but are only excluded form forking Jenkins repositories, then it may be time to look for another project to help. Jenkins maintainers don’t see the problem that you’re seeing. Others don’t see the problem that you’re seeing. I’m sorry that the problem exists, but I don’t see anything that we can do to resolve the problem when we can’t duplicate it.
[quote=“krisstern, post:13, topic:4677”]
ee if you have already forked the repo before. If so tha
[/quo yes I have tried different repositories I was able to fork them
Assuming your username here matches your GitHub username, it seems you had a PR marked as spam in the jenkinsci organization, maybe this triggered some kind of workflow to temporary block you?
so how can i unblock myself
Raise an issue with the Jenkins infrastructure help desk. Provide a detailed description of the issue you’re seeing, the steps you’ve attempted, and their results. Include a link to this discussion for further reference.