Is there a way to get Jeknins to run Apple Silicon (ARM) natively?

Hi!

I’m wondering if there’s a way to get Jenkins to run Apple Silicon/ARM hardware natively on MacOS? I only see x86 downloads for MacOS on the Oracle website for Java, but there are also these builds of OpenJDK from Azul that are ARM 64-bit: Java Download | Java 8, Java 11, Java 13 - Linux, Windows & macOS)

Can that be used with Jenkins running on MacOS or am I totally on the wrong track here?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Edit:
Hmm… Looking at the M1 Mac mini we have with Jenkins running i see the running ”java” process is listed as ”Apple” in Activity Monitor, so it seems it’s actually running as native and not via Rosetta 2. :man_shrugging:

So you are good?

Arent modern macs arm? And I can’t imagine they aren’t 64 bit.

“Java 11 mac m1” gave me Installation of the JDK on macOS

That being said I think adoptium is the recommendation so check out https://adoptium.net/marketplace

Yes, they are ARM (and 64-bit, yes) since the once 2020, but there’s still software that needs adjustment to run native and not via Apple’s x86 to ARM translation layer called Rosetta 2.

My impression was that the Java for MacOS on Oracle’s site wasn’t native since I could only see downloads for ”x64” which is also the case in the link to doc.oracle.com you sent: ”Download the JDK .dmg file, jdk-11. interim.update.patch-macosx-x64.dmg”.

But like I said for some reason the server (Mac mini with Apple M1) we have seems to run Java as ”Apple” according to the Activity Monitor in MacOS and not as ”Intel”.
Allt good in that case. I wasn’t involved in installing the server from the start, so maybe someone has done something that I don’t know of. :upside_down_face:

So you say Java from Adoptium is recommended to use for Jenkins? Good to know. I’m still pretty new in the world of Jenkins, so thanks. the JDK listed there shows as ”aarch64” for ”macOS” so looks promising. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!