Greetings! I'm new to opensource projects

Hello guys, I’m a student major in software engineering from Taiwan, Kaohsiung.

Really interested in contributing to the Jenkins community ever since I built my first continuous integration pipeline, and eager to translate the documents into zh-TW :))

I’ve had experience with Docker, Kubernetes, SonarQube, gitlab-CI/CD, and a little bit Java development.

Please feel free to guide me on how I can start contributing to this community with my skillset! A little guidance would be so helpful to me!

1 Like

Welcome @programbeginnerTW

I agree with you: contributing to Open Source is a great way to give back but also a wonderful way to learn many things (and not only technical).

Localising and documentation translation, especially for non-mainstream language, is always a very useful way to contribute. It is also a good way to learn about the product.

Where to start? It is a very good question :wink:
First advice I would give is to choose a topic that you are passionate about or you use everyday (a particular plugin for example). Pick a beginner issue in that field and start exploring it. Remember, the first step is to reproduce the defect. It will help you getting familiar with the product and understand the problem.

Another good way to start learning about Jenkins programing is to help modernize a plugin. A very good guide for that is described in Improve a plugin tutorial blog post.

The Google Summer of Code (GSoC) program might interest you. Have a look to the various blog posts on this subject and in particular the GSoC 2023: how to get prepared blog post or the main GSoC page: Google Summer of Code in Jenkins. It is not too late to join and try to be selected.

If you are interested in Kubernetes and infrastructure, the INFRA team can always use help and has also some good first issues.

/- Jmm

3 Likes