Upgrade Jenkins from 2.426.1 to 2.440.x

Hi Team,

I’m currently on jenkins 2.426.1 and need to upgrade to the latest version 2.440.x. Could you please help me with the detailed steps that covers this.

Mostly i see the upgrade steps that are stating replace the existing war file with the war file of version you want to upgrade. But i setup my jenkins using the yum command and whenever i need to make any changes to the properties i use systemctl commands.

Could you please help me with the steps that covers the upgrade process using systemctl or with yum commands in the linux environment. Also could you please help me on with the file backups like what are the most important files that needs to be backup while doing an upgrade and looking for a rollback steps if something went wrong. Please provide me a detailed information that covers my above requirement…

Appreciate your responses…!!!

Thanks

General steps include:

1. Read the release notes for all the releases between your current release and the destination release
  2. Read the upgrade guides for all the releases between your current release and the destination release
  3. Backup the system (file system snapshot, file backup, docker volume copy, etc.)
  4. Upgrade plugins to current releases with Jenkins plugin manager
  5. Upgrade Jenkins with “yum upgrade” or “dnf upgrade”
  6. Upgrade plugins to current releases with Jenkins plugin manager

Please don’t replace the war file with a newer war file if you installed with “yum” or “dnf” or “apt-get”. If you installed with a Linux package, please upgrade with a Linux package.

1 Like

@MarkEWaite Thanks for the response…!!!

Do i need to upgrade the plugins first and then the jenkins or is it other way around?

Also let’s say if my upgrade failed and i need to revert back to the previous working version, is it just replacing the backedup filesystem and restarting the jenkins will do the work? In that case how can i revert the plugins to the previous version compatable.

It’ll very helpful if you could share the documentation link (if available any) or any session which covers this linux upgrade process.

Thanks

Both. Upgrade plugins before the upgrade of Jenkins core to assure that you have the most recent plugins for the previous version of Jenkins. That reduces the risk of issues with the upgrade of Jenkins core. Upgrade plugins after the upgrade of Jenkins core to assure that you have the most recent plugins for the new version of Jenkins. That assures you have all the most recent updates.

Each Jenkins long term support release (LTS) includes an upgrade guide.

Jenkins long term support releases for the last year or two have each had a “What’s new in Jenkins LTS 2.xxx.x” live stream. They are part of the CloudBees TV tutorials play list and can be found by searching YouTube as well.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information…!!! I’ll go through the tutorials and copy what got changed from the current running version to the latest version. And will reach out to you if i need any further help on this.

Please keep this case open.

Thanks