Upgrade from 2.332 to current

I need to update my jenkins server from 2.332 to current
Installed on CentOS7
I see I have a option to yum update to 2.430-1-1
Is this safe to use yum to upgrade in 1 step or should I use the war files?
if I need to use the war files, Do I need to update gradually using each war(+20) file to get to current?
Many thanks for your time, with helping me

morning @shoodlum :
In my experience of upgrading, I was able to make jumps directly to the destination versions that I wanted… HOWEVER, I would suggest reading thru the change logs version by version, to see if there are any additional changes that you need to be aware (e.g. plugin changes or functionality deprecation). Naturally you can just jump straight to 2.430-1-1; but that could result is more of a headache than needed.

the one caveat I experienced in the

Is it safe to use yum to upgrade … or should I use the war file

Initially my servers were installed with yum. At some point in time, someone updated the server by replacing the war file and then recycling the services… this ended up introducing a number of errors. My personal experience is upgrade the same method that the software was installed.

Feel free to post up any follow on questions! and Welcome

You should plan your upgrade to a new operating system as soon as you can.

The Jenkins project will stop supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and its derivatives with the Nov 15, 2023 release of Jenkins 2.426.1. Refer to the blog post for more details.

The Red Hat public support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and its derivatives (like CentOS 7) will end June 30, 2024. Customers that need support after June 30, 2024 can purchase a special support plan from Red Hat.

As mentioned by @mwp565733 , if you installed with the operating system package manager then you must upgrade with the operating system package manager. There are many messages in the community forum where we’ve had to advise users how to correct the mistake of upgrading a war file from within an environment that was installed with a package manager.

Having said that, you should be warned that Jenkins transitioned from using System V init scripts in the RPM package to use systemd in Jenkins weekly 2.335. A blog post describes that transition. The version of systemd that is available on CentOS 7 is too old to be supported with Jenkins running systemd. That is another reason to replace the operating system with a new, supported operating system.