Jenkins integration wjth tomcat 10

As at now there is a new version of tomcat 10.0.26 and jenkins has not upgraded there container deploy option to tomcat 10x this has a way of stressing junior devops engineers as they downloading tomcat 10 means they have to downgrade to tomcat 9 as jenkins as at the time of documenting this complaints has no way to integrate to tomcat10. Je kins company should address this problem as soon as possible for save integration.

Jenkins is an open source project, not a company. While integrating support for Tomcat 10 would be a great addition to the project, I don’t know of anyone in the community planning on adding the support. You are welcome to submit a pull request to add the support, or if you are working for a company that desires Tomcat 10 support, maybe you can get your company to sponsor someone to add the support and create the pull request.

See [JENKINS-64548] deploying Jenkins 2.263.1 to Tomcat 10. beta fails. - Jenkins Jira

Junior DevOps engineers should install Jenkins by following the Jenkins installation instructions. The installation chapter includes instructions for:

• Linux
  • Docker
  • Kubernetes
  • Windows
  • Other systems

Engineers experienced with other web containers (not typical for Junior DevOps Engineers) may choose to attempt an installation with an alternate web container like Tomcat, JBoss, Glassfish, WebSphere, or WildFly. There is some hope that those installations may work, based on this quote from the install page:

Jenkins can also be run as a servlet in different Java servlet containers such as Apache Tomcat or GlassFish. However, instructions for setting up these types of installations are beyond the scope of this chapter.

I’m not aware of any Jenkins core maintainer that is developing with a different Java servlet container. I’m not aware of any Jenkins tester that is using a different Java servlet container. I’m sure that there are Jenkins users that are running with different Java servlet containers, but I don’t know how many there are or the servlet containers they are using.

If you’d like to contribute configuration instructions and experiences with different Java servlet containers, we’re open to shared experiences here in the community forum.

2 Likes