Issue with the Upgrade of Jenkins from 2.28 to 2.401.2

I clicked on Upgrade Automatically to upgrade Jenkins (on Windows 10 Pro) from 2.28 to 2.401.2. After Installation, Jenkins required a restart. It stopped and now the Jenkins service is not Starting and is throwing a pop-up: Windows could not start Jenkins on local computer. error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

Make sure to give the upgrade guides a read. A lot changed between 2.28 and 2.401.2.

If there are breaking changes affecting you and requiring manual modifications, the upgrade guides got you covered.

1 Like

Thank you, Alexander. Appreciate your quick response.
I do have One more Query: Can we downgrade it back to 2.28 and things that were saved there, are they lost or recoverable?

Surely, you can restore to a backup you took previously.

I accidentally clicked on Upgrade. I didn’t create any backups. Jenkin folder is present in the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Jenkins which contains all the plugins, logs, and other directories. Is there any other way to downgrade? I found one but I doubt it, could you please validate it?

Downgrade Jenkins version:

1. If you don’t have a backup, you can attempt to downgrade Jenkins to the previous working version.
  2. Download the specific version of Jenkins that was working before the accidental upgrade from the Jenkins website (Jenkins download and deployment).
  3. Navigate to the Jenkins installation directory on your system.
  4. Replace the contents of the Jenkins installation directory with the files from the downloaded version.
  5. Make sure to retain the existing configuration and job data directories.

Will this work? I cannot risk of losing any configuration.

You certainly can try downgrading to the ancient version you were on before.

I’d do it on a separate instance first, though, before messing with the live instance.

It would be helpful if you could provide some additional information on how Jenkins 2.28 was setup on your Windows machine. Was it setup as a service or was it running from a jar file? It should be easier to recover if you were running from a jar file, as it always keeps the older jar you are upgrading from as a backup. You can then just rename the back up jar to fall back to your original version

It was set up as a service.
The issue has been resolved now. The JDK that is required for 2.401 is Java 11 or above and only Java 8 was available. We installed JDK 11 on the system and also configured the path on Jenkins and 2.401 is up now.

A heartfelt thank you to the amazing Jenkins community and its exceptional members! Your quick responses and unwavering support surpassed all expectations. Grateful to be a part of this incredible community.

1 Like