Jenkins stuck after clicking on automatic update to 2.401

This morning, I clicked on manage jenkins, I noticed an alert
New version of Jenkins (2.401) is available or Upgrade Autmatically

I chose the 2nd option as usual, download started, I checked restart when done but it got stuck, after 2 hours of waiting the service in windows stopped and whenever I tried to restart it it sais “Process terminated unexpectedly…cant restart”.
After so many tests and googling, I visited the jenkins directory and renamed the new jar file and put the older jar file and everything came back to life
What is possible causes and can I retry?

What version were you upgrading from? Do you have Java 11 installed and setup in the jenkins.xml file for the service? Are there any exceptions in the Jenkins log file?

Current versin is 2.341I have just added jdk11 and udated jenkins.xml and restarted the server I wiltry again nw and et you knw

I restarted jenking after replacing jenkins.war 2.401, I am getting now

Here is the text

com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: hudson.security.GlobalMatrixAuthorizationStrategy
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DefaultMapper.realClass(DefaultMapper.java:81)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:125)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DynamicProxyMapper.realClass(DynamicProxyMapper.java:55)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:125)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.PackageAliasingMapper.realClass(PackageAliasingMapper.java:88)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ClassAliasingMapper.realClass(ClassAliasingMapper.java:79)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ArrayMapper.realClass(ArrayMapper.java:74)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.SecurityMapper.realClass(SecurityMapper.java:71)
at hudson.util.XStream2$CompatibilityMapper.realClass(XStream2.java:453)
at hudson.util.xstream.MapperDelegate.realClass(MapperDelegate.java:46)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CachingMapper.realClass(CachingMapper.java:47)
at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.determineType(RobustReflectionConverter.java:521)
at hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:346)
Caused: jenkins.util.xstream.CriticalXStreamException:
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception : com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException
cause-message : hudson.security.GlobalMatrixAuthorizationStrategy
class : hudson.model.Hudson
required-type : hudson.model.Hudson
converter-type : hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter
path : /hudson/authorizationStrategy
line number : 16
version : not available

After updating plugins, with java 8 then updating jenkins.xml with java 11, restarting jenkins, it went through.
But tell me, I understood that latest version is 2.7 why jenkins does not suggest this version as well?

Thanks for your help

I have added a plugin “Variables replaces” when I check the details, it says
Requires Jenkins 2.7.3
Where can I find this version?
I visited the download page Jenkins download and deployment for jenkins, no such version

That’s a VERY old version. The current weekly release is 2.401, 2.7 is many weeks ago.

Thanks, in fact it is working now with the new version