Cloud Friendly(?) Jenkins Retro - Feedback's Welcome!

I am doing a new version of the Cloud Native Jenkins retrospective talk at Cloud Native Rejekts 2024. Any feedback will be welcome! It is quite an opinionated talk, but please be sure that there is no blame on any project or initiative. Or contributor. I would like to thank everyone who participated in the Cloud Native Jenkins SIG, we achieved a lot of great stuff there which is being actively used

Jenkins has been one of the most popular automation servers in the world. It is widely used for CI/CD purposes in cloud environments. You may have heard that Jenkins is not cloud native, and of course it is true. You may have heard that Jenkins controllers are a legacy monolith from the 2000s. That is not true, it is quite cloud friendly if used right. And yes we tried to make Jenkins cloud native, but it didn’t quite work. Why?

I have been involved in Jenkins architecture projects for more than ten years, including pluggable storage, multi-tenant Jenkins, cloud native agents, breaking down the controller monolith, Kubernetes integrations, etc., etc. Some of these efforts worked, some didn’t. But it was a great learning experience that can be used by developers and maintainers of other projects that consider re-platforming them to make cloud- and Kubernetes-native.

I’ll talk about the technical assumptions and mistakes we made in Jenkins, and how it worked. What to keep in mind when doing the re-platforming? And do you even need it?

2 Likes