Reusable workflow for continuous delivery of Jenkins components

Shoutout to Joseph Petersen for defining a reusable workflow for continuous delivery of Jenkins components in jenkins-infra/jenkins-maven-cd-action#10. Prior to Joseph’s effort, every component that wanted continuous delivery had to to copy and paste dozens of lines of code and then keep it up-to-date with changes to the original. The burden this imposed on maintainers, introduced in JEP-229, could fairly be described as technical debt. Not only did Joseph prevent this technical debt from increasing by defining a reusable workflow, but also Joseph paid off the existing technical debt by automating the migration from the old status quo to the new reusable workflow, submitting pull requests to migrate all affected plugins. I would like to thank Joseph for these efforts, which demonstrate the principles of holistic engineering and optimizing globally rather than locally for the benefit of the Jenkins community. Kudos!

1 Like

Thanks @basil :smiling_face: That is how I roll or at least try to!
A few other tools that I have contributed to do come to mind at least which have the same principle.

For those interested in the script used to transition all the technical debt in 193 repositories:
Bulk Pull Requests Update of GitHub Action workflows

1 Like