Java 11 as default in Docker images

Jenkins 2.307 released Tuesday, August 17, 2021 with Java 11 in the default Docker images. Jenkins 2.303.1 will release Wednesday August 25, 2021 with Java 11 in the default Docker in the long term support release.

Users that continue to require Java 8 can use the jdk8 suffix on the Docker image tag. For example, I can run Jenkins 2.307 using Java 11 with the command:

$ docker run --rm -i -t jenkins/jenkins:2.307

I can run Jenkins 2.307 using Java 8 with the command:

$ docker run --rm -i -t jenkins/jenkins:2.307-jdk8

We’ll use this topic for discussions related to the change from Java 8 to Java 11.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Setting up windows cloud agents

Great to see consistency in what we publish and what we tell users to do! That the default images had Java 8 and immediately showed a message to not use Java 8 was weird :sweat_smile:

@dduportal has started a conversation in the Jenkins developers mailing list based on a problem related to a change in the default locale that arrived in Jenkins 2.303.1 as part of the transition from Java 8 to Java 11.

The default locale in the 2.289.3 Docker image was C.UTF-8 while the default locale in the 2.303.1 Docker image is currently POSIX. The POSIX locale does not accept UTF-8 characters, so is not a good choice for the Jenkins Docker image.

See https://groups.google.com/g/jenkinsci-dev/c/RfCVfNW70Sg/m/5J9rTlynAQAJ for the discussion.

1 Like