I18n when using the docker image

Hi there,

I’m just getting started with Jenkins, so bear with me.
I installed Jenkins on my Win10 computer with WSL2/Docker (Ubuntu 20.02, Docker version 20.10.12, build e91ed57).
My whole PC is configured to display English, but I am located in France (and I’m using a mandatory VPN that locates me in Switzerland).
The GUI shows me messages in French, but some of them are still in English.

Would you know how to switch back to English, and while I’m here, as French is my mother tongue, how could I translate the remaining English labels/messages?

Thanks.

Hello

Welcome aboard.
And yes, the French translation could use some more attention :wink: (as for other languages). There are still some cheese holes in the translations.

From the top of my head, the locale plugin should help you to set the language. Install this plugin and you should be able to force the locale. But I might be wrong as it is a long time I faced this problem.

/- Jmm

1 Like

Hello Jean-Marc,

Thank you for the welcome and for your help.
I’m not going to look right away for the place to modify to fill in the holes in the translation, but I’m going to install the locale plugin to try to adjust the English/French mix.
I’ll keep you posted. :pray:

Also check what headers your browser is sending. Sites often look at ACCEPT Language header which seems to be configured independently (I get weird interactions having mine set to Canadian English)

1 Like

https://halkeye-whoami-mgesr.ondigitalocean.app/ might help with that (any excuse to deploy another app is a good excuse)

1 Like

You are right Gavin, my browser was sending (for whatever reason) Accept-Language: fr,fr-FR;q=0.8,en-US;q=0.5,en;q=0.3.
Once I switched the Accept-Language header, I got what I was expecting.

Hostname: halkeye-whoami-64c77d4594-qm9z7
[...]
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: halkeye-whoami-mgesr.ondigitalocean.app
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding: gzip
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Cdn-Loop: cloudflare
Do-Connecting-Ip: 147.161.184.171
Referer: https://community.jenkins.io/
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-Site: cross-site
Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
X-Forwarded-Proto: https

I feel quite dumb now, but, hey, one’s got to start somewhere. :blush:

Now, if I were to translate to French the messages I spotted, would you have any pointer that could help me to start?

Thanks.

the trick is finding out if its core or a plugin

Looks like Translation Assistance still exists, but is kinda abandoned, so :fingercrossed:

Generally you want to update .properties file and Internationalizing Messages in Java Source Code has a bunch of good details.

1 Like

I installed the plugin, but it looks like it does not show me the right fields/labels/messages.

Oh well, at least I tried. :yum:

Github org search would work

Let me try that. Thanks.

It did not work for me, maybe because I’m not part of the organisation.
Thanks anyway. :pray:

@danielbeck used to have a script that checked out every repo so you could do local searches. I can’t seem to find it though.

1 Like

When I search for something I use some hacked together nonsense based on GitHub - jenkins-infra/usage-in-plugins: Finds and reports usage of deprecated and other Jenkins API in plugins (which by default only searches Java code, not resources).

You might be thinking of merge-all-repo/clone.groovy at 519afad95836423af87328c8e17191af919b96f1 · jenkins-infra/merge-all-repo · GitHub

1 Like