Gitpodify Jenkins Projects

Hey Team!

I am evaluating Gitpod with Java open source projects since recently Gitpod has been integrated with JetBrains (Gitpod x JetBrains join forces to solve 'works on my machine' problem) to bring remote development to developers around the world. We can run an instance of our favourite JetBrains IDE on the Gitpod developer environment.

I want to evaluate setting up a few open-source java projects like Jenkins on Gitpod.

• So that it is easier for a new contributor or existing one to start with development without getting into the hassle of setting up the local environment.
  • It will help pair remotely.
  • It can be accessible to a broader audience because it won’t require a powerful machine. Everything will be run on Gitpod’s developer environment. (When I was doing GSoC, I had an old laptop that struggled to run multiple docker containers and IDEs as it had low configurations. I remember how much I had to struggle. )

Once I can run, will it be okay if I add the “Open in Gitpod” link like it has been done in the project:

1 Like

We will be able to open Jenkins repositories by simply clicking on the following button.
Open in Gitpod

I know docs team has been recommending gitpod for GitHub - jenkins-infra/jenkins.io: A static site for the Jenkins automation server for a while now.

Nobody owns every repo, did you have a specific project/repo in mind?

1 Like

Hey @halkeye, We can start with the project you have recommended, and also, we can Gitpodify GitHub - jenkinsci/jenkins: Jenkins automation server project. Later we can move to various plugins. The idea is to evaluate many projects :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Nancy-Chauhan

I did some work on this in the weekend, I got it somewhat working:

In the test instance forms don’t submit due to the URL forwarding, I think it needs some more configuration, Jenkins tries to redirect you to http://localhost:8080 instead of the git pod address.

If you want to finish that off it would be great!

1 Like

One thing I haven’t figured out is how to get the test URL when using a Jetbrains IDE.

If I open it in VS Code in the browser I get a notification prompting me to open the test instance.

I don’t seem to get the same notification in IntelliJ

(when I was testing I just opened it VS code browser to get the url but not the best)

Hey @timja, I will have a look at this today

Hey @timja, I have made the changes and raised a PR in your repo. Wait for jenkins port to be available by Nancy-Chauhan ¡ Pull Request #104 ¡ timja/jenkins ¡ GitHub

If it works for you, you can then raise it to Jenkins.

One thing I haven’t figured out is how to get the test URL when using a Jetbrains IDE.

You will need to run gp URL 8080 in the integrated terminal to get the URL. Click on the URL to open it in your browser.

If I open it in VS Code in the browser I get a notification prompting me to open the test instance.

I don’t seem to get the same notification in IntelliJ

IntelliJ gives this prompt only when we run the project using a run configuration.

After opening the project in IntelliJ, if you set up a maven target with the commands, IntelliJ will prompt you for port-forwarding.

1 Like

This is now working on the design library:

Jenkins core PR opened:

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you, @timja, for raising PR “Add gitpod integration” in core Jenkins. This will be good