Jenkins SVN Checkout Issue svn: E175002

Hello Jenkins Community,
Hello and good morning.
I am looking for advice on the following issue, please.
This affects both our production and test environments.
This started happening at the same time in both.
Google searches have provided some workaround ideas.
Has anybody found a solution for this?
Please see below, 1-4
Thanks,
John Dove

My name is John Dove.
I am a Jenkins administrator for an ITS department, focused on Jenkins/Maven/Java development. I have been running the same Jenkins system for several years now (4 years) with NO major problems. Our Jenkins is older (2.150.1) but very (very) stable and quite an excellent product.
We have a Jenkins production system.
We have a Jenkins Test system.
Both are being affected.

Starting now, in OCTOBER 2023, we have a mysterious problem.
This problem affects both our Production and Test systems.
This problem just started affecting both systems at the SAME time.
Jenkins and SVN software has NOT changed in 4 years.
A very stable environment.

JENKINS ERROR - when doing SVN checkout:
  svn: E175002: REPORT request failed on '/ij/!svn/vcc/default'

SVN ERROR - at the same time
[dav:error] [] ] Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[dav:error] []A failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #104]
[dav:error] [] Error writing base64 data: Connection reset by peer  [500, #104]

This problem occurs INTERMITTENTLY and NOT all the time.
Some projects finish their SVN checkouts.
Some fail with the above errors.
When this does happen, both JENKINS and SVN always have the same errors as above.

This problem appears to be a known issue.
Referenced back in year 2008.
It was replied to by: Kohsuke Kawaguchi
ISSUE: Loading... “svn: REPORT request failed on ‘/svn/!svn/vcc/default’”
And yes we tried the recommendation to use “-Dhudson.spool-svn=true” – but that did not work.

I am still actively researching this issue on my side. I will keep this Jenkins Forum thread updated with any progress that I make (good or bad). Hoping for advice.
Thanks.
~ John

I removed the picture I posted with this.
Updated so just text.

Here is that hudson.spool-svn option in the subversion plugin. As well as original commit in jenkins core before plugin breakout.

Not sure if that option is still relevant but it looks like the subversion plugin provides a couple of properties to change its connecting behavior. Worth looking through the plugin source to see if any of the options not mentioned yet would help.

“Connection reset by peer” is a generic SSH error so might be worth tweaking those options. 4 years stability is a long time. I imagine Jenkins usage and source code have grown. As systems grow they can lose stability or face underlying issues. I am experiencing that myself recently but in a different setup.

Sam,

Thanks for the links I will look at them.

Is there anything else you can think of that could help us?

Where could the problem possibly be?

Since the software has been used for 4 years with no problems (at all, ever) and now this with the errors being thrown on SVN checkout, can you think of any possible things?

Did something in your network change? Are you absolutely sure that nobody updated something on the Jenkins side? Did the svn server get updated? If what you say is true, that nothing in your Jenkins side changed, then you need to look outside that area.

Hi Alex

Thank you for the reply.

My replies as follows.

Below, 1-5.

~ John

Did something in your network change?

Yes.

Recently (around THIS timeframe October 2023) there have been some changes to the network by our ITS networking team.

It is indeed possible those network changes effected the “network-ecosystem” where our Jenkins lives.

Are you absolutely sure that nobody updated something on the Jenkins side?

Yes.

I am the primary person responsible for updating our Jenkins software (and any software related to Jenkins) on the concerned machines.

I have upgraded nothing.

ITS does normal patching of the operating systems. Outside of my team.

Did the svn server get updated?

No.

Our SVN servers (TEST and PROD) have NOT been upgraded in years.

ITS does normal patching of the operating systems. Outside of my team.

If what you say is true, that nothing in your Jenkins side changed, then you need to look outside that area.

We thought the same.

We did Wiresharking inspection with ITS networking teams already – watching when Jenkins agent sends its “SVN checkout” requests to SVN servers.

Wireshark revealed some “TCP ZEROWINDOW” packets - but just a slight few – which hints at a performance issue concerning data I/O where one side in the I/O is suffering (not ready for its data, etc.).

Was mentioned could be a possible concern.

Here is a really off-the-wall thought – more common sense:

Could a beneficial network change (allowing better & faster network IO performance) actually cause the Jenkins SVN PLUGIN to choke and fail in handling data?

Make no sense since we are dealing with computers, but in metaphor-like-thinking, trying to force too much WATER into a SMALLER pipe?

Could that even theoretically come into play?

Just a thought.

I am adding this diagram for everyone else’s understanding to illustrate this problem.
More academic this way

If your SVN plugin is at least 4 years old, it’s possible that the SVNKit version it is using can’t handle something in the network. There may be possible bugs in that library that the SVN plugin uses to interact with SVN.

In addition, this post (tortoisesvn - Error REPORT request failed on ../../../!svn/vcc/default - Stack Overflow) seems to hint that it could possibly be related to a few different things (two SVN versions accessing the same working directory, file corruption in the repo, etc.). It might be helpful to take a look there and see if any of the “fixes” discussed help resolve your issue.

Alex,

Thanks. Good ideas.

I was thinking the SVNKIT could be it too !

Thanks for all the input.

By the way.

I did testing with Jenkins 2.346.3 + SVN PLUGIN 2.17.1 – which are more current versions of Jenkins + SVN PLUGIN.

Same problem occurred with them too.

I will keep testing…

Thanks again for all the input.

You should probably change SVN version in settings. I had various problems with SVN plugin until I modified this. Don’t know why but the plugin is using a very old repository version by default (don’t remember if it was 1.6 or even 1.4). I mean I know it is a compatibility thing, but I don’t why is it that low by default.

You should go to manage/configure and probably change to 1.8.
obraz

Note that you will probably need to remove workspace for any and all SVN based builds after changing this. IIRC the plugin will not remove existing checkouts.

I’ve found my notes. The default is 1.4. You can check in .svn/format file (its a text file, but do not modify it manually!). You should have format version 12 (1.7+) to support more modern features of SVN.

Thanks for the good ideas

: )

Quick update

I did lots of testing. Definitely appears that my Jenkins SVN checkout problem is environmental of some kind. I installed my Jenkins system software (same version / same plugins / etc.) to a different machine environment, and SVN checkouts worked. Machine-environment was the only difference.

I will keep this forum updated.
More testing awaits.
Interesting.

~ John

Quick update

Hello All,
Just to keep the community updated on this. I am making some good progress. I followed the advice from this JENKINS issue from past years (year 2008; JENKINS-1260, which was mentioned above) specifically for using the below -D Java JVM parameter. And it seems to be working. Meaning, that my recent SVN CHECKOUT tests have all been 100% successful so far.

-Dhudson.spool-svn=true

Question:
What does the above -D setting actually (literally) do technically at runtime?
I saw its source code on GIT HUB, which is just an explicit constructor for the DAV Repo Factory. DAVRepositoryFactory.setup(new DefaultHTTPConnectionFactory(null,true,null));

Here is the source code.

But under-the-hood, does anyone know what this spooling is doing?
Seems to work. Why?

Quick Update

-Dhudson.spool-svn=true setting is working so far in isolated JENKINSMASTER hosted in TOMCAT. Next step is trying to instate within distributed agent environment of 4 SLAVES. Will keep this forum update as I move along.

• John

Quick Update
Good news.
This applies to my TEST architecture only.
Below 1-3.
~ John

I applied the -Dhudson.spool-svn=true setting to my distributed, NON-production Jenkins architecture, consisting of 1 JENKINSMaster and 4 SLAVES. They are all Microsoft windows machines, such that all 4 SLAVES run as Windows Services on 4 independent machines. JENKINSMaster is an APACHE Web Server reverse proxy to (Tomcat + Jenkins) and Sonar Qube.

SVN CHECKOUTS are working on all SLAVES now.
Again, in NON-production.
(Production is next…)

The “technical fix” was to simply add the above -Dhudson.spool-svn=true JVM property to to ALL SLAVES’ Jenkins.XML file. That’s it. And it worked.

Just as an FYI, the terms SLAVE and MASTER have been deprecated in Jenkins for some time. Please use agent and controller respectively as the current terms.

No problem. Understood.

I saw it kept trying to change that.

Assumed maybe a text-widget problem on the site…

Got it.

Update

Great news.

The above fix worked in my distributed Jenkins production environment, too.

I will write another REPLY subsequent to this, which shows the complete solution.

More soon.

~ John

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
Here is my complete solution that I used for fixing the SVN CHECKOUT errors (E175002). Hopefully this will help other people as well.
Please see below, 1-3.
~ John

On EACH Jenkins agent machine the fix was to simply modify the Jenkins AGENT jenkins.XML file like so:

PATH
D:\BUILD_SYSTEM\jenkins_agent\	

FILE
jenkins-slave.xml

TEXT CHANGE added the spooling property here
<arguments>-Dhudson.spool-svn=true  -Xrs  -jar "%BASE%\slave.jar" ...

Here is a screen shot:

How I verified the above approach:

First to Jenkins vendor - from Jenkins’ creator Kohsuke Kawaguchi, posted year 2008. This showed the origin of the property: -Dhudson.spool-svn=true
https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-1260

Then to TMATE vendor – whose API was listed in the stack trace of the SVN errors. So I knew their API was involved.
https://issues.tmatesoft.com/issue/SGT-783

Then to SVN KIT, which is used internally within the Jenkins Subversion plugin itself. This shows the explicit constructor “DefaultHTTPConnectionFactory(null,true,null)” That was crucial to discover. Since Kohsuke Kawaguchi used it too on GIT HUB below.
https://svnkit-users.svnkit.narkive.com/wxBj9Sb1/enable-http-spooling-for-svnclientmanager

Then to GIT HUB showing the code Kohsuke Kawaguchi implemented (for JENKINS-1260 above)

Scroll to line: ~2689 hudson.spool-svn / new DefaultHTTPConnectionFactory(null,true,null)
Which is the explicit constructor from SVN KIT above.
So I knew this must be it.

Then back to Jenkins on how to set the property on the agent.
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Installing+Jenkins+as+a+Windows+service
SEARCH FOR: The JVM launch parameters of these Windows services are controlled by an XML file jenkins.xml and jenkins-agent.xml respectively.
That’s how I knew where to place that value.

That’s it.
~ John

2 Likes