Jenkins Election Candidates

Dear All,

Thanks to everybody who took the time to nominate candidates for the Jenkins governance. After reviewing all nominations with the different nominees, I am glad to share with you the list of candidates for the Jenkins Election 2021.

This year we see competition for the two board member positions and the documentation officer.

We’ll invite each member who registered election-voters for two polls. One named Jenkins election 2021 - Board members and a second one named Jenkins election 2021 - Documentation officer.

Due to the recent GDPR changes, the platform “Condorcet Internet Voting Service” is now required to validate emails addresses used on the platform.

To validate your email address on the platform, it happens on https://civs1.civs.us/cgi-bin/opt_in.pl

! The email address which needs to be validated must be the one used on community.jenkins.io as I’ll use that one.

If you already did then you are all good. You’ll receive two email invitations to participate in the two polls.

If you haven’t activated your email address before I start the two polls, then you’ll see a link to the poll just after validation like in the following example.
Example of User activation

I now invite you to discover participants motivated to lead the Jenkins project.

Board members

Every board member are elected for a period of 2 year. This year two boards members will be elected

Candidates

Mark Waite

I am a Jenkins user, a contributor to the Jenkins project, and have been the Jenkins Documentation Officer in 2020 and 2021. I maintain the git plugin, the git client plugin, and several other plugins. I am an advocate for Jenkins through Jenkins online meetups, live stream presentations, workshops, other presentations, blog posts, and answers in online Jenkins forums.

I lead twice-weekly office hours of the Jenkins Documentation Special Interest Group , am one of the leaders of the Platform Special Interest Group, and am an active participant in the Advocacy and Outreach Special Interest Group.

I would love to serve on the Jenkins board and would be happy to be elected as Documentation officer.

Affiliations: CloudBees

Oleg Nenashev

I have been a Jenkins contributor since 2012 and a core maintainer since 2014. I’ve also maintained many plugins, contributed to the project governance, and helped to organize events from local meetups to hackathons and outreach/mentorship programs like Google Summer of Code. I also maintain Jenkinsfile Runner and participate in the Continuous Delivery Foundation and other groups related to Jenkins. In 2019 Jenkins community members elected me for the Jenkins governance board, and it has been an honor to serve on it. During my term I led multiple initiatives in the board including: public roadmap, graduation in the Continuous Delivery Foundation, several Jenkins Enhancement Proposals, contributor summits and many other events, etc.

I truly believe in Jenkins’ future as a universal automation server that can be used everywhere. I would be happy to continue serving on the Jenkins governance board so that I could facilitate community and technical programs. I would like to make Jenkins the best place to contribute, and to get more individual and company contributors involved in the community on a regular basis. Onboarding more company contributors and vendors would be one of my key objectives, and commitment to the vendor-neutral community is one of the reasons for my recent career updates. On the technical side, I plan to prioritize the evolution of Jenkinsfile Runner as portable Pipeline engine, deep integration of Jenkins with the modern OpenTelemetry and CloudEvents ecosystem, and making Tekton a first class citizen pipeline engine on par with Jenkins Pipeline. For more information about my vision for the Jenkins project and its community see this document: Jenkins 2022 and beyond. Oleg's vision - Google Docs

Affiliations:

• Dynatrace
  • API Neuchatel, co-organizer, https://api-ne.ch/
  • Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation
  • Continuous Delivery Foundation

Ullrich Hafner

I am an active contributor in the Jenkins project since 2007 and a Jenkins governance board member since 2019. My main contributions are the warnings plugin, several UI API plugins (Bootstrap, jQuery, ECharts, DataTables, Font Awesome) and a lot of tests in the acceptance test harness. I also adopted the code coverage API plugin in the last couple of months to improve the user experience of this plugin.

Since 2012 I am a professor for Software Engineering at the University of Applied Sciences Munich. In my role as professor I try to win new Jenkins contributors by letting students develop new features and test cases in their student projects and theses. I am also helping new contributors (and students) in our Jenkins forums. It would be a pleasure for me to continue my role as a member of the governance board for another two years.

Affiliations: University of Applied Sciences Munich

Officers

Officers are elected for a period of 1 year

All Jenkins officers and team leads have the following responsibilities:

• Coordinating the work inside the teams and SIGs they lead. While team leads are responsible to ensure that the mission-critical community processes work, they are not expected to work on them single-handedly.

• Onboarding new contributors to the teams they lead.

• Mentorship and knowledge sharing within the team to ensure healthy officer rotation in the project, with opportunity for team leads to move on to other roles or to take a break when needed.

• Facilitating initiatives within the scope of the responsibility, maintaining the team’s roadmap, and ensuring that key team initiatives reflected on the public Jenkins roadmap.

• Representing the Jenkins project and community within the area of their responsibility.

Documentation

2 Candidates: Mark Waite, Saeid Bostandoust

The documentation officer oversees the Jenkins project documentation.

• Enable and facilitate website/documentation contribution from the community

• Coordinate the Jenkins website copy-editors team

• Lead or be involved with Documentation Special Interest Group

Candidates

Saeid Bostandoust

I am a Backend developer and DevOps engineer. I’m using Jenkins for about eight years. Due to my interest in teaching, knowledge sharing and content creation, I intended to contribute to Jenkins by publishing the completest Jenkins tutorial that ever exists. Today, this program is realized, and this series of tutorials is published weekly. I want to join the Jenkins community officially in the Documentation Officer Role to contribute more than before. Improving the current documentation of plugins, adding better examples and how-tos, creating several docs for using the Jenkins in production environments, and improving the use-cases for several programming languages and technologies are some of my future programs.

Linkedin

Twitter

Affiliations: Self-employed

Mark Waite

I am a Jenkins user, a contributor to the Jenkins project, and have been the Jenkins Documentation Officer in 2020 and 2021. I maintain the git plugin, the git client plugin, and several other plugins. I am an advocate for Jenkins through Jenkins online meetups, live stream presentations, workshops, other presentations, blog posts, and answers in online Jenkins forums.

I lead twice weekly office hours of the Jenkins Documentation Special Interest Group , am one of the leaders of the Platform Special Interest Group, and am an active participant in the Advocacy and Outreach Special Interest Group.

I would love to serve on the Jenkins board and would be happy to be elected as Documentation officer.

Security

1 Candidate: Wadeck Follonier

The security officer coordinates the security-related activities in the Jenkins project.

• Run the Jenkins CERT meeting

• Manage sending gifts to qualifying reporters of resolved security issues

• Coordinate work on and releases of security fixes with plugin authors and Release Officer

• Publish Security Advisories (including CVE IDs and CVSS) and notify the mailing list

• Drive security policy definition/changes in the community

• Represent the Jenkins project on security topics with third parties

• Represent the Jenkins CNA

1 Candidates: Wadeck Follonier

Candidate

Wadeck Follonier

I joined the Jenkins adventure in 2017, as long as the Jenkins Security team and was coached by Oleg Nenashev and Daniel Beck about how to best help with security tasks. I am working full time at CloudBees within the security field, finding vulnerabilities, correcting them, helping maintainers to increase the security of their plugins by reviewing / coaching them. During conferences or other meetups, I really enjoy helping people with their security questions, trying to improve the security awareness in general.

I play sort of the Security Officer delegate role when Daniel was not able to be present, it was sometimes for meetings and even a security release.

One of the current project I have is to put in place CSP mechanism in order to reduce the XSS possibilities we have in Jenkins.

My plan for the year is among other things to reduce the bus factor of the position by having more people involved in the security discussions at different levels, to have a more sustainable situation.

Infrastructure

1 Candidate: Damien Duportal

The infrastructure officer oversees the Jenkins project infrastructure.

• Direct triage of INFRA issues

• Direct maintenance of Jenkins project infrastructure (‘INFRA’ issues)

• Encourage contributors to INFRA project

• Communicate maintenance windows and manage execution of those windows

• Coordinate Jenkins Infrastructure initiatives and define priorities, get key initiatives reflected on the public Jenkins roadmap

Candidate

Damien Duportal

Damien is a Software Engineer working as a SRE for the Jenkins public infrastructure and as an IT teacher.

He is active in the Platform SIG and is a decade-long user of Jenkins.

Fervent open-source citizen, he’s active in other community including Docker, Asciidoctor and Updatecli.

GitHub: https://github.com/dduportal

Twitter: https://twitter.com/damienduportal

Linkedin: https://be.linkedin.com/in/damien-duportal-ab70b524

Event

1 Candidate: Alyssa Tong

The event officer coordinates Jenkins community events and outreach programs.

Jenkins events include conferences where Jenkins is represented (cdCon, FOSDEM, SCALE, etc.), community-organized local and virtual meetups, contributor summits, outreach events (hackathons, Hacktoberfest, GSoC/GSoD, etc.), and speaking opportunities.

The Events Team Lead is tasked with the following responsibilities:

• Be a point of contact for Jenkins community events (mentioned above)

• Participate in Advocacy&Outreach SIG and coordinate the events section there

• Coordinate communication and logistics efforts surrounding Jenkins community events and outreach programs

• Coordinate content/agenda for major conferences where the Jenkins community is represented

• Process incoming event-related requests through developer and Advocacy&Outreach SIG mailing lists, including Jenkins online and local meetups

• Facilitate community contributions to Jenkins events organization: onboard event organizers, knowledge transfers, etc.

• Maintain the Jenkins Events calendar, together with other contributors

Candidate

Alyssa Tong

I was Jenkins Events Officer from 2011 - 2019. I have been involved in coordinating such events as FOSDEM, SCALE, DevOps World, contributor summits, Jenkins contributor appreciation events just to name a few. As of late i’ve been focused on collecting Jenkins user stories and showcasing what great things the Jenkins community is doing with Jenkins jenkinsistheway.io.

Release

1 Candidate: Tim Jacomb

The release officer is responsible for coordinating Jenkins releases. This is an elected role.

• Manage keys for signing and producing official Jenkins releases (e.g. GPG signing keys, Windows and Mac OS X certificates)

• Operate LTS/weekly releases directly, or name specific release managers to be responsible for those releases (e.g. “this person is responsible for this LTS series, backporting, etc”)

• Coordinate the LTS release baseline selection, backporting and release candidate testing

• Be responsible for release automation to produce LTS and weekly releases

• Act as a single point of contact for the Security Officer to incorporate security fixes/backports into releases (this implies membership to Jenkins CERT team)

Candidate

Tim Jacomb

I have been a user of Jenkins for the last 9 years and a regular contributor since 2018. I began with maintaining the Slack plugin and over the last couple of years I have since expanded that to many more plugins and the Jenkins core. These are some of the components I maintain when I have time: Slack, Azure Key Vault, Junit, most of the Database plugins, Dark theme, Plugin installation manager, Jenkins Helm chart, Configuration as code plugin. I am also a member of the Jenkins infrastructure team, and I was involved in the release automation project and the mirrors modernisation effort, along with the day to day support helping people regain access to accounts etc.

As a Release Officer I would like to increase automation, ease onboarding of new contributors to the release team, and ensure that responsibilities rotate among people so that I wouldn’t be a bottleneck for any task.

Profile links: GitHub, Jenkins Blog

Affiliations: Kainos