Governance Meeting, October 3, 2022

2022-10-03T17:00:00Z

October 3, 2022

Participants: Basil Crow, Mark Waite, Gavin Mogan, Kevin Martens

Agenda:

  • News
    • LTS 2.361.2 will release October 5, 2022
    • Hacktoberfest has started
    • DevOps World postponed by Hurricane Ian
    • Jenkins contributor summit postponed
    • Mark unavailable for Oct 17 meeting, need a volunteer to lead the meeting
      • Gavin Mogan will lead the meeting
  • Action items
    • Mark Waite to use community.jenkins.io for the Jenkins Docs SIG mailing list
      • Announce the change and make the existing list read-only
      • Gavin investigated importing a mailing list, export is easy, import requires that we ask for help from the Discourse, complicated set of steps
        • Not worth the effort
    • EasyCLA needs to be documented by Oleg
      • Enabled on the CLA repository
      • Currently signing both
      • Central repository guidelines need more description
      • Should we enable CLA on other repositories?
        • Future discussion topic, see the developer list
        • Intentionally keep the contribution barriers low
  • [JENKINS-68652] Migrate from ANTLR2 to ANTLR4 - Basil
    • Jenkins has two ANTLR grammars: one to parse (a variation of) crontab entries and one to parse label expressions for build agents
    • As described in JENKINS-68652, compiling Jenkins on Java 18 or newer currently fails in ANTLR Maven Plugin
      • Our versions of ANTLR and ANTLR Maven Plugin, dating back 15 years, use terminally deprecated Java features
      • The repository for the latter does not appear to have survived the MojoHaus migration from Subversion to Git
      • The status quo does not seem sustainable
    • Given the lack of volunteer interest in JENKINS-68652 or alternatives (e.g., writing a new parser without ANTLR), Basil Crow has reached out to Federico Tomassetti at Strumenta, a consulting firm with experience performing migrations from ANTLR2 to ANTLR4
    • Strumenta is interested in the project and has scoped the work required to migrate from ANTLR2 to ANTLR4
    • Basil is requesting funding of 1,900 Euro, possibly with additional Value-Added Tax (VAT), and approval from the governance board to engage Strumenta to begin the project
      • If approved, Basil plans to be the primary point of contact with the Strumenta as they prepare the pull request to migrate from ANTLR2 to ANTLR4
      • The code is covered by automated testing, and Basil plans to complete additional manual smoke testing beyond that
      • Basil also plans to review and approve the pull request
      • As thanks for their discount, we will publish a blog post with technical content describing their work and our results of their work. Basil will coordinate the blog post with Strumenta
    • Votes on the proposal
      • Mark - +1
      • Gavin - +1
      • Oleg - +1
      • Ewelina -
      • Kohsuke -
      • Basil - +1
      • Kevin - +1
      • Mark to connect with Linux Foundation to understand if VAT is required and to confirm we can make the payment through Expensify
        • Need to check that board members have approver permission on Expensify
        • Oleg Nenashev has permission, approved a previous request
        • Would need to add Strumenta as a beneficiary on Expensify, then they submit the expense and Oleg approves
  • Upcoming elections - Mark
    • Disrupted by Hurricane Ian (Mark and Damien need to work together)
    • December for completion
    • Gavin and Ewelina up for re-election
    • Damien Duportal has agreed to run the elections
      • Will discuss with Olivier Vernin to understand the process
      • Announcements, vetting candidates, etc. is a governing board responsibility
        • Entire board vets candidates
        • Any board member could send the announcements
        • Can reuse email templates and content from previous years
      • Discuss further in infra meeting
    • Timeline
      • October announce and gather candidates and their statements, finalize candidates
      • November voting
      • New board members and officers effective early December
    • Use the same process as last year
      • Register to vote at community.jenkins.io
      • Voting through the Condorcet system at Cornell University
        • If hosting is needed outside the University, Gavin has access to resources
  • CDF topics
    • JFrog working with Jenkins infra team to reduce data transfer for our repository server
      • Prepare for a move of the repo from one cloud provider to another
      • Damien Duportal leading effort to reduce data transfer - JEP draft proposed
      • Multi-step process expected, will be discussed in developer mailing list
    • Yearly Project previews at the CDF TOC Meetings
      • Planning a Jenkins presentation (November)
      • Prepare the presentation and present
      • Currently preparing to graduate the Tekton project
        • Some questions for security review, proceeding
  • Forums and community topics - Gavin
    • Hacktoberfest has started
    • Content removal request to the board mailing list
      • Educate on general processing technique
      • Ignore it since it is appears to be an automated request asking to not mention a hostname
        • Invite them to edit it themselves to remove it
        • A security team bot that asks not to mention a hostname
        • Politely decline the bot request unless they reply to our declining it