Facing issues with publish over FTP from windows to linux server, shows requested timed out error message

Facing issues with publish over FTP from windows to linux server, shows requested timed out error message.

Some common questions that need to be answered:

Diagnostic questions

• Can you perform an ftp push of the same files from another directory?
  • Can you perform an ftp push of the same files from another computer?
  • Can you perform an ftp push of a smaller set of files?
  • Can you publish over ftp with a smaller set of files?
  • Can you publish over ftp from a Linux computer?
  • Is the destination ftp server accepting the files?
  • Are the files visible after they’ve been uploaded to the destination ftp server?

Investigation questions

• Have you reviewed the authentication logs on the destination server to confirm that credentials are correct?
  • Have you tried publish over ftp to a different destination server?

Hello @it1devops and welcome to this community :wave:
Could you please try to answer Mark’s questions so that we can better diagnose the issue you’re facing?

Dear Bruno Verachten and Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

• I have configured jenkins on Windows machine and tried to do push (Publish over FTP) it was showing error.
  • I have configured jenkins on Linux machine and tried to do push (Publish over FTP) it was showing same error.
  • I observed when i try to push (publish over FTP) only few files will be copied to the destination directory but not folders and subfolders.
  • I have configured the Git Repository and trying to copy (publish over FTP) to the Files and Folders to the Destination directory.
  • When i do Filzila to the FTP server (destination directory) it works and files and folders are copied.
  • One more observation, when i to Test configuration ( FTP settings in JEnkins) it shows SUCESS but when i run the job and Job fails and also the Test configuration shows some Java error again i need to restart the jenkins.

Kindly Assist.

1 Like

Are you using any kind of proxy within FileZilla?
What is the configuration of FileZilla (encryption, active/passive mode, generic proxy, …)?
Are the machines you’re using for Jenkins on the same network than the machine you’re using with FileZilla?
If not, could you run Jenkins via Docker on your FileZilla client machine, and see if it works?
Thanks.

Dear Bruno Verachten,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I am not using any proxy to connect to the FTP server.
FTP server is a third-party cloud server with Plesk enabled.
Jenkins machine and FTP server both are not in the same network.

Please assist me with sending files, folders, and subfolders from Git Repository to any FTP server.

Regards,

1 Like

is there any other method i can push all files and folders from gitlab repo to FTP server

Is there any other method i can push all files and folders from gitlab repo to FTP server

Just FYI at no point did you tell us what is wrong just that something was wrong

“it doesn’t work” is always hard to remote debug. Try to always include these 3 things.

1. what did you try? (Code samples, command lines, screenshots, videos, etc)
  2. what did happen? (Error messages, description, outputs, stuff)
  3. what did you expect to happen?

Otherwise, it’s hard for us to get into your context and you’ll have to have someone who is exactly knowledgeable come along.

1 Like

Dear Gavin Mogan,

Thanks for the reply.

Below are the details.

I have configured Jenkins on Windows Machine.
I have GitLab Repo and configured API key in jenkins.
I have configured Publish Over FTP and when I tried testing it shows SUCCESS but if I try to build (trying to push files and folders to FTP server) it takes a long time and shows the error “Time Out”.
Once it shows build errror the Publish Over FTP Test connection shows error again i need to restart the Jenkins services.

If you assist me how to copy files and folders(subfolders) from Gitlab Repository to FTP Server.

Regards

1 Like

Generally Timeout means some sort of network issue.
There’s also PASSIVE and ACTIVE mode for ftp, which handles going through the network differently.

Without actual details, all we can say is your having a network issue.

You could try using cli ftp and get more data