Adding a second admin - only local accounts

How do you add a second Jenkins admin?

We’re only using local accounts, and not tied in to LDAP or AD at this point. But I’m not seeing the option in the Manage Jenkins > Users or Manage Jenkins > Security that makes it obvious how to set up another admin on the instance.

I’ve got 2.416 set up here in my homelab, and 2.401.3 set up for a production instance elsewhere… and in both cases, I cannot see any “Configure Global Security” menu… which is where some search results said to go to. Was this menu deprecated in newer versions of Jenkins?

Thanks.

We’re only using local accounts, and not tied in to LDAP or AD at this point. But I’m not seeing the option in the Manage Jenkins > Users or Manage Jenkins > Security that makes it obvious how to set up another admin on the instance.

To ease the management of user permissions, you can install the Matrix Authorization Strategy plugin.
It allows you to grant users access to specific actions. Once installed, go to Manage Jenkins → Security → Authorization → Matrix-based security.

A table pops up, you can add users to, and select the permissions they should have, by selecting “Add user…”, entering their user id and selecting “Administer” in the table.
After saving, the user is another Jenkins admin.

Though it’s worth to note the steps don’t differ even if you use AD, LDAP or something else to feed Jenkins with user accounts.

I’ve got 2.416 set up here in my homelab, and 2.401.3 set up for a production instance elsewhere… and in both cases, I cannot see any “Configure Global Security” menu

Did you find this reference somewhere within the documentation on jenkins.io? If yes, would you mind pointing me where? The configuration option has been renamed to “Security” some time ago.

Hello @NotMyFault - I tried searching for that Matrix Auth plugin and it doesn’t come up in the search results at all. :thinking:

There are other plugins with Matrix occurring in the names, but nothing for Matrix Authorization.

Also, the refs to “Configure Global Security” were in search results, not in the official docs.

If it doesn’t appear in “Available plugins” but in “Installed plugins”, you have it already installed.

Hi @NotMyFault : I have a case where i have a user(testuser) who is avaliable in ad directory where he is not the admin. But what i did is that i have added that user in manage/configureSecurity/(Project-based Matrix Authorization Strategy) as an administrator.
Unfortunately still the user is not having the admin privileges. Can you help me if u get some clue here