User Experience SIG - Feb16, 2022

2022-02-16T16:00:00Z

User Experience Special Interest Group February 16, 2022.

• 00:00 - Introduction
  • 01:57 - Image removal breaking existing plugins
  • 09:20 - Source code highlighting with prism plugin
  • 16:08 - Icons and images from font awesome 6 plugin
  • 18:40 - Code coverage plugin column presentation
  • 24:07 - UI improvements
  • 30:15 - UI samples plugin
  • 34:14 - Theme manager live reload
  • 45:20 - Buttons and breadcrumbs improvements
  • 47:20 - Sidebar simplification discussion and alternatives

Participants
Tim Jacomb (@timja), Mark Waite (@MarkEWaite), Jan Faracik, Ullrich Hafner (@uhafner ), Wadeck Follonier (@wfollonier ). Daniel Beck (@danielbeck )

Notes

• 2.335 weekly status - Mark Waite
    • Build in progress, artifacts written to artifactory
    • Switches the Linux installer from System V init to installer
    • Mark will blog about it
  • Concerns for image removal breaking existing plugins
    • Daniel Beck raised concern in one of the pull requests
    • Ulli prefers to fix the plugin rather than retain those old images and icons
      • Pull requests are easy
    • Plugins will want to update their icons anyway
    • Private plugin maintainers may not realize they need to make the change
      • Could we have a separate plugin with legacy icons?
      • Plugin would need to modify the core resource path
      • Migration guide is available to adapt to the changes (see jenkins.io)
        • Also included in LTS upgrade guide (point to migration guide)
        • Open source migration already done by Alex’s migration
          • 50+ plugins updated and released
      • Is there more that we can do to inform users?
    • Consensus - pull requests for plugins with old icons and point to migration guide
  • UI plugin - prism for source code highlight - Ulli Hafner
    • Used in warnings ng and in configuration as code
  • Font Awesome 6 plugin released with more than 1700 icons
  • Code Coverage plugin column coloring
  • UI improvements - Jan Faracik & Tim Jacomb
  • Theme manager live reload

@MarkEWaite , I’m not sure whether to ask here or in a documentation thread, Nevertheless, …

I’d like to compliment you on your work both as a chair / moderator of the meetings and your most diligent clerical minute-taking in generating the minutes. Most of all, I really like how you produce the above minutes with the bookmarked links and chapter marks to the appropriate points in the video.

I was wondering if you might share some insights into the tools/process you use in producing the video and the bookmarked links. Does it take you long, is there a technique to marking the points of interest as you are recording or do you have to post-edit, and so on?

This is definitely something I’d like to share with my colleagues in house who record meetings and tech demos, etc and simply post them without context. It is so much more effective than jumping around a linear video to find the right point and topic. It could perhaps even be the subject of a Jenkins blog post as I’m sure a lot of people could learn from your practice and experience.

With gratitude,
Ian

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind comment! The technique is thanks to @darinpope and YouTube. If the description of a YouTube video includes a series of lines that start with a time stamp in HH:MM:SS format followed by a single line description, then YouTube creates the “chapters” at those time stamps and uses those descriptions. Darin uses the technique very effectively in the “Modernizing a plugin” livestream series:

Livestream Videos

Darin Pope and Mark Waite presented a livestream video series on modernizing Jenkins plugins. The videos are available as:

• Part 1 - Choosing your plugin, update the parent pom, update Jenkins base version
  • Part 2 - Spotbugs, incremental builds, dependency updates, and release drafter
  • Part 3 - Migrate docs to GitHub, add a “report an issue” link, interactive testing
  • Part 4 - Enable continuous delivery, plugin bill of materials
  • Part 5 - Topics and labels on repositories, resolving security scan reports

Those videos are much more effective for me as a listener because they include the YouTube timeline that allows direct access to subtopics.

Applying the technique to meetings

I take notes during the meetings and then use those notes to make my guess at the topics to include in the timeline. I download the recording of the Zoom meeting and play it on my computer so that I can find the timestamps that should be included in the timeline. When I upload the Zoom recording to YouTube, I place the timestamps into the YouTube description of the video. YouTube generates the chapters and converts the timestamps into hyperlinks.

After the video has been uploaded and YouTube processing is complete, I copy the description from YouTube (that now includes hyperlinks to the points in the timeline) into a community posting here. I insert the line breaks and make each timeline item an entry in a list and publish the page.

More help on the YouTube feature is available as

3 Likes