Multibranch pipeline failed

I have a multibranch job in jenkisn version 2.289.3, but it gives me errors because it does not recognize the environment variables, it skips them and at the end the pipeline fails.
I run the pipeline in a normal pipeline job and the code runs correctly.
I understand that it could be the jenkins version, but I need to confirm it.
Any information on this?

Hello @Leyla and welcome to this community. :wave:

The behavior you’re experiencing could be due to several factors, including differences in how multibranch pipelines are configured and executed compared to regular pipelines. :thinking:

Here are some factors to consider and steps to help diagnose the issue:

1. Environment Configuration: Ensure that environment variables are correctly configured for both the multibranch pipeline and the regular pipeline job. You can set environment variables at different levels in Jenkins, including globally, at the folder level, and at the job level. Make sure you have set them at the appropriate level where they can be accessed by the pipelines.
  2. Multibranch Pipeline Configuration: In a multibranch pipeline, environment variables could be defined using the “Properties” step in a Jenkinsfile or within the pipeline script itself. Ensure that you are defining and exporting the environment variables properly within the Jenkinsfile for the multi-branch pipeline. Example within a Jenkinsfile:
pipeline {
    agent any
    environment {
        MY_VARIABLE = 'some_value'
    }
    stages {
        stage('Build') {
            steps {
                sh 'echo $MY_VARIABLE'
            }
        }
    }
}
  1. Version Compatibility: You mentioned that you’re using Jenkins version 2.289.3. While this is a relatively older version, it should still support environment variables in both multibranch and regular pipelines. However, there could be some specific issues or limitations in that version. Consider upgrading Jenkins to a more recent LTS (Long Term Support) version to ensure you have the latest bug fixes and feature enhancements.
  2. Logs and Debugging: When environment variables are not recognized, it’s important to check the build logs in Jenkins. Look for any error messages or warnings related to environment variables. You can also add echo statements to print the values of environment variables at various stages of your pipeline to help with debugging.
  3. Permissions: Ensure that the multibranch pipeline job has the necessary permissions to access and use the environment variables. Check both the job-level permissions and the permissions at the folder or parent level if applicable. There are several plugins to help with that.
  4. Plugins: Check if there are any plugins installed in your Jenkins instance that might affect environment variable handling. Ensure that your plugins are up to date.
  5. Script Approval: If you have the “Script Security” plugin enabled, you might need to approve certain script signatures, especially if your environment variable handling involves complex Groovy scripts.
1 Like

Thanks a lot Bruno,
Since I had urgency, I created a simple pipeline job to move forward. I will take your recommendations into account and try it when I have some time.