Jenkins.service: Failed with result 'timeout'

After installing, when starting the jenkins service and open the web interface, I get stuck at the " Please wait while Jenkins is getting ready to work". Taking a look at the journal of the service (using journalctl -xeau jenkins.service --no-pager) gave me the following log (to big to be put here, sorry for the pastebin)

It seems like the service is stuck in a “timout and restart” loop. Any idea of what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Jenkins setup:

• OS: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64 on kernel 6.1.0-rpi7-rpi-v8
    Linux raspberrypi 6.1.0-rpi7-rpi-v8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.1.63-1+rpt1 (2023-11-24) aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Java: openjdk 17.0.10 2024-01-16
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 17.0.10+7-Debian-1deb12u1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.10+7-Debian-1deb12u1, mixed mode, sharing)
    The only thing I added in the service’s default config is these flags: -Xms750m -Xmx750m (they don’t change anything)
  • Jenkins: 2.426.3. I didn’t install any plugin, so the only plugin enabled should be the default ones - if there are any.
  • Installation method used: Official Debian Long Term Support release
  • Launching method: provided service, the only line modified is Environment="JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms750m -Xmx750m".
  • Browser: Tested on Chrome, latest, and Opera GX, latest.
  • systemInfo: Can’t access the systeminfo path.
  • Jenkins service status:
● jenkins.service - Jenkins Continuous Integration Server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jenkins.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: activating (start) since Mon 2024-02-05 21:38:35 CET; 139ms ago
   Main PID: 151441 (java)
      Tasks: 10 (limit: 1585)
        CPU: 133ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/jenkins.service
             └─151441 /usr/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms750m -Xmx750m -jar /usr/share/java/jenkins.war --webroot=/var/cache/jenkins/war --httpPort=8080

Feb 05 21:38:35 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting jenkins.service - Jenkins Continuous Integration Server...
  • Ran commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y fontconfig openjdk-17-jre
java -version
sudo wget -O /usr/share/keyrings/jenkins-keyring.asc \
  https://pkg.jenkins.io/debian-stable/jenkins.io-2023.key
echo deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/jenkins-keyring.asc] \
  https://pkg.jenkins.io/debian-stable binary/ | sudo tee \
  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jenkins.list > /dev/null
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y jenkins
sudo systemctl enable --now

As far as I can remember, I didn’t touch anything else, not knowing what to do.

Make sure this is not an out of memory error. 750 MB of heap may be too small, if you have lots of job runs around. The other thing could be, that the rpi is just too slow for the default timeout in the systemd config ( check systemd docs for how to increase that.)

The timeout was the problem. I set it TimeoutStartSec=900 (but 3 minutes would have been enough). Thanks a lot!