Jenkins is running but service says it is failed

I updated jenkins from 2.375.4 to 2.387.2 on CentOS7 using the GUI interface. Then jenkins start an I can access it via the browser. However, when i get the status of the service via sudo systemctl status jenkins i obtain :

● jenkins.service - LSB: Jenkins Automation Server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/jenkins; bad; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Wed 2023-04-19 16:01:58 CEST; 34min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 115376 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/jenkins start (code=killed, signal=TERM)
 Main PID: 3606 (code=exited, status=143)
    Tasks: 73
   Memory: 1.6G
   CGroup: /system.slice/jenkins.service
           ├─115381 runuser -s /bin/bash jenkins -c ulimit -S -c 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 ; /etc/alternatives/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/data/ci/jenkins/tmp -Dcom.sun.n...
           ├─115382 bash -c ulimit -S -c 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 ; /etc/alternatives/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/data/ci/jenkins/tmp -Dcom.sun.net.ssl.checkRevocation=f...
           └─115383 /etc/alternatives/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/data/ci/jenkins/tmp -Dcom.sun.net.ssl.checkRevocation=false -Djdk.internal.httpclient.disableHos...

Apr 19 15:56:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Jenkins Automation Server...
Apr 19 15:56:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 runuser[115381]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user jenkins by (uid=0)
Apr 19 16:01:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 systemd[1]: jenkins.service start operation timed out. Terminating.
Apr 19 16:01:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Jenkins Automation Server.
Apr 19 16:01:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 systemd[1]: Unit jenkins.service entered failed state.
Apr 19 16:01:58 hrpd-codep-wgui1 systemd[1]: jenkins.service failed.

How can one start the service correctly?

If you installed using the package manager, you should only update using the package manager, you should not upgrade Jenkins via the web UI. Is there a reason you didn’t use the package manager to upgrade? You will want to go and do that instead of using the UI.

The advice from @slide_o_mix is exactly the advice you need to follow.

You’ll also want to transition from CentOS 7 as soon as you can. CentOS 7 support ends June 30, 2024 and the platform SIG is discussing and preparing a plan to end Jenkins support of CentOS 7 even before the official end of life of CentOS 7.

Hi there,

Jenkins 2.332.1 switched Jenkins from using System V init to use systemd with its Linux package installers for Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Alma, openSUSE, Rocky, and more. The LTS Upgrade Guide describes that transition and how to adapt your environment to the transition. You must use the Linux installer to perform the upgrade.

There is a blog post about it as well at

There is also a video introduction for RPM based distributions like Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Alma Linux, Rocky Linux, Oracle Linux, and Amazon Linux.

There is also a video introduction for deb based distributions like Debian and Ubuntu

for constraint related to our project, we wish if it is possible to avoid the upgrades via yum and prefer to pass by downloading war / GUI

thanks for the advice

“we want to do it not the way you provided, but want you to help us anyways”

If you use yum, you need to continue using yum, and upgrade the package which upgrades the scripts
if you don’t want to use yum, uninstall the rpm, install the war manually, and write your own startup scripts.

Using a hybrid method does not work, has proven not to work, and won’t be helped with.

if you want to do something more custom, i recommend paying a vendor, or hiring someone to contribute to the project.

1 Like