Help | Starting up a Jenkins instance on CentOS 8

Hey there! I’m trying to install Jenkins on my CentOS 8 PC (For training purposes only), and I can’t seem to start the service -
I was able to install the package, but the moment I try to start it, I get the following error -

Job for jenkins.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status jenkins.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

which didn’t say much, so I checked both the status and the journal - and both didnt tell much either -

jenkins.service - Jenkins Continuous Integration Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/jenkins.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2023-05-26 21:13:31 IDT; 5min ago
  Process: 49117 ExecStart=/usr/bin/jenkins (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 49117 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling res>
May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: Stopped Jenkins Continuous Integration Server.
May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 26 21:13:31 home systemd[1]: Failed to start Jenkins Continuous Integration Server.

Journal - 
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILU>
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Subject: Unit failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- 
-- The unit jenkins.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: Failed to start Jenkins Continuous Integration Server.
-- Subject: Unit jenkins.service has failed
-- 
-- Unit jenkins.service has failed.
-- 
-- The result is failed.
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling res>
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: jenkins.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
-- Subject: Automatic restarting of a unit has been scheduled

-- 
-- Automatic restarting of the unit jenkins.service has been scheduled, as the result for
-- the configured Restart= setting for the unit.
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: Stopped Jenkins Continuous Integration Server.
-- Subject: Unit jenkins.service has finished shutting down
-- 
-- Unit jenkins.service has finished shutting down.
May 26 21:19:22 home systemd[1]: Starting Jenkins Continuous Integration Server...
-- Subject: Unit jenkins.service has begun start-up
-- 
-- Unit jenkins.service has begun starting up.
May 26 21:19:22 home jenkins[49803]: Running from: /usr/share/java/jenkins.war

I’d love for anyone to provide me with some feedback or some insights into why this might have happened, and I’d thank any advice / help!

check the full output with
journalctl -u jenkins.service
Maybe that gives you more hints

I’ll bet good money that its the wrong version of java.

1 Like