Discord Notifier suddenly stopped working

I’ve been using the Discord Notifier for over a year without issue, Yesterday I started getting the following traceback in the logs for a job.

nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.exception.WebhookException: {
“embeds”: [
“0”
]
}
at nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.DiscordWebhook.send(DiscordWebhook.java:224)
at nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.WebhookPublisher.perform(WebhookPublisher.java:313)
at hudson.tasks.BuildStepMonitor$1.perform(BuildStepMonitor.java:20)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.perform(AbstractBuild.java:818)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.performAllBuildSteps(AbstractBuild.java:767)
at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.cleanUp(Build.java:189)
at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1947)
at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:44)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:101)
at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:442)

Has anybody else encountered this issue, and/or where should I start troubleshooting this?

I am using Discord Notifier Version 218.ve2b_887e3a_f28

All of this is running on Jenkins 2.385

I opened a support ticket with Discord to try to troubleshoot this more and shortly thereafter the plugin started functioning without error. I have not heard by from Discord that any action was taken by them.

1 Like

I’m using the discord notifier plugin daily and have not yet seen this exception in my logs. I’m running the same version as you on Jenkins 2.384 with Java 11.
It’s possibly worth to raise an issue on the plugin repository too, no?

1 Like

I don’t think it was an issue with the plugin, but rather an issue with discord. I can’t say that with any confidence as discord support has yet to even acknowledge the support ticket I opened. But opening the ticket seems to have resolved the issue for me.

[Pipeline] discordSend
Sending notification to Discord.
nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.exception.WebhookException: {
  "embeds": [
    "0"
  ]
}
	at nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.DiscordWebhook.send(DiscordWebhook.java:224)
	at nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.DiscordPipelineStep$DiscordPipelineStepExecution.run(DiscordPipelineStep.java:240)
	at nz.co.jammehcow.jenkinsdiscord.DiscordPipelineStep$DiscordPipelineStepExecution.run(DiscordPipelineStep.java:185)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.steps.AbstractSynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution$1$1.call(AbstractSynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution.java:47)
	at hudson.security.ACL.impersonate2(ACL.java:451)
	at hudson.security.ACL.impersonate(ACL.java:463)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.steps.AbstractSynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution$1.run(AbstractSynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution.java:44)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)

Same here.
Jenkins 2.390

Mine just magically started working without any changes to jenkins. I did email support asking for a way to get better logging of the error from discord and never even got an acknowledgement of the email. A day later the plugin started sending notifications again.

I seem to recall that the error message I was seeing basically says the api call failed. But not much on WHY it failed. One of my theories was that my webhook had been throttled due to traffic? But I never could find proof of that.

I really wish I had more concrete info to give you.

Thanks Steve,
Im doing some tests with curl and works from jenkins container.
I will try check the code.

I just figure out, when i use ‘env’ in parameters i got the error.
And work with a simple configuration like this.
discordSend description: ‘TEST’, footer: ‘Teste’, webhookURL: ‘https://discordapp.com/api/webhooks/token

1 Like