A problem occurred while processing the request (build-pipeline)

Hi,

Installed build pipeline plugin but while configuring new build pipeline I am getting " A problem occurred while processing the request" Kindly advise.
trace
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:47 AM INFO hudson.WebAppMain contextInitialized
Jenkins home directory: /var/lib/jenkins found at: EnvVars.masterEnvVars.get(“JENKINS_HOME”)
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:47 AM INFO org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler doStart
Started w.@3224a577{Jenkins v2.336,/,file:///var/lib/jenkins/%25C/jenkins/war/,AVAILABLE}{/var/lib/jenkins/%C/jenkins/war}
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:47 AM INFO org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector doStart
Started ServerConnector@36f6e879{HTTP/1.1, (http/1.1)}{0.0.0.0:8080}
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:47 AM INFO org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server doStart
Started @1703ms
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:47 AM INFO winstone.Logger logInternal
Winstone Servlet Engine running: controlPort=disabled
Feb 26, 2022 6:39:48 AM WARNING hudson.lifecycle.SystemdLifecycle notify
null
com.sun.jna.LastErrorException: [1] Operation not permitted
at com.sun.jna.Native.invokeInt(Native Method)
at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:426)
at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:361)
at com.sun.jna.Library$Handler.invoke(Library.java:265)
at hudson.lifecycle.$Proxy19.sd_notify(Unknown Source)
at hudson.lifecycle.SystemdLifecycle.notify(SystemdLifecycle.java:64)
at hudson.lifecycle.SystemdLifecycle.onExtendTimeout(SystemdLifecycle.java:53)
at jenkins.model.Jenkins$6.onInitMilestoneAttained(Jenkins.java:1184)
at jenkins.InitReactorRunner$1.onAttained(InitReactorRunner.java:88)
at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.ReactorListener$Aggregator.lambda$onAttained$3(ReactorListener.java:108)
at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.ReactorListener$Aggregator.run(ReactorListener.java:115)
at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.ReactorListener$Aggregator.onAttained(ReactorListener.java:108)
at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor$1.run(Reactor.java:183)
at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor$Node.run(Reactor.java:121)
at jenkins.security.ImpersonatingExecutorService$1.run(ImpersonatingExecutorService.java:68)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)

I would recommend opening a bug for Jenkins core at issues.jenkins.io

Make sure to indicate what version of Java (my guess is Java version). Any details you can share about the pipeline your creating. And how you installed it (rpm, Deb, docker, war file, etc)

Thanks very much for sharing the stack trace! I can duplicate the problem in Jenkins weekly 2.336 in a large scale configuration that I have. Based on testing with a pre-release build of 2.337, the stack trace mentioning systemd is no longer happening when the larger boolean radio button bug in 2.336 is fixed.

You may want to reconsider your use of the build pipeline plugin. The build pipeline plugin was last released 4 years ago and has a known security vulnerability. It is not being actively maintained.

What Jenkins version are you running?

While exploring the problem further, I see the boolean radio button bug that my poor testing skills allowed to arrive in Jenkins 2.336. When I attempt to create a build pipeline view in Jenkins 2.336, it fails with the stack trace

org.kohsuke.stapler.NoStaplerConstructorException: There's no @DataBoundConstructor on any constructor of boolean
        at org.kohsuke.stapler.ClassDescriptor.loadConstructorParamNames(ClassDescriptor.java:288)
        at org.kohsuke.stapler.RequestImpl.instantiate(RequestImpl.java:822)
        at org.kohsuke.stapler.RequestImpl.access$200(RequestImpl.java:85)
        at org.kohsuke.stapler.RequestImpl$TypePair.convertJSON(RequestImpl.java:726)
Caused: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed to instantiate boolean from {"value":"false"}
        at org.kohsuke.stapler.RequestImpl$TypePair.convertJSON(RequestImpl.java:729)

I’m confident that problem is fixed by the change in PR-6311 by @timja . I’ve tested with a local build of that PR and the view is defined correctly. The images are broken in the view because that plugin depends on images that have been deleted from Jenkins 2.335 and later, but the view behaves as expected without generating any stack trace.

The most immediate solution is to use the Jenkins LTS instead of the Jenkins weekly release for your use case. I checked that it is well-behaved with the Jenkins 2.332.1 release candidate and I’m confident that it is well-behaved with the Jenkins 2.319.3 LTS release.

I need to spend more time exploring to see if I can duplicate the systemd lifecycle stack trace after the fix in PR-6311

Thanks, Mark, Below is jenkins version details.
Jenkins Automation Server Engine 2.336

Simplest short term solution is to use the Jenkins LTS 2.319.3. It doesn’t have this problem.

I still think that the build pipeline plugin is a poor choice because it has a known security vulnerability, but that’s a choice you need to make.

Thanks Mark, Jenkins LTS 2.319.3 is working fine with build pipeline plugin.