Jenkins GSoC 2022 Office Hours

We will be starting up weekly meetings for Jenkins GSoC 2022 office hours starting Feb 4, 2022 @ 3AM UTC

Proposed agenda items:

2 Likes

Feb 4, 2022 @ 3AM UTC | GSoC Office Hours [Asia]

Attending: Alyssa Tong, Mark Waite, Kris Stern, Kristin Whetstone, Natasha Stopa, Dheeraj Singh Jodha, Vihaan Thora, Atharva S, Snehi, Sweta B, Aca, Purna Chandra Mansingh

Agenda:

2 Likes

Feb 18, 2022 @ 3AM UTC [Asia]

Attending: Alyssa Tong, Mark Waite, Kris Stern, Kristin Whetstone, Dheeraj, Abdullah Ranginwala, Sweta Kumari, Hamees Sayed, Vihaan Thora

Agenda:

• Questions from potential GSoC contributors (feel free to add your questions via Comment prior to the meeting)
    • [Vihaan]: What is the preferred platform for writing the proposal?
      • Project proposal template
      • Start with a Google Doc and make it public to solicit a comments from mentors & other contributors. We will give feedback on each other’s ideas in public.
    • [Abdullah]: Can you briefly explain your expectations from a proposal. Am I supposed to have a detailed plan of solving the issues, or only an overview of how I plan to approach the project?
      • The more details you’ve considered the healthier. The better that you have thought about and expressed it, the more persuasive your project proposal is.
    • [Abdullah]: Projects that are very detailed in terms of what is needed in the document and I supposed to cover all the assets, or is it up to investigation?
      • There are times when we learn things during implementation that has caused us to have to revise the plan. This is OK. The more upfront thinking you can do, the more likely you are to persuade people you have spent necessary effort to be ready to do this implementation.
    • [Sweta]: If more than one possible contributors draft a proposal for a given project, will there be filtering after that - to select one of them? Or projects can have 2-3 students/contributors?
      • GSoC is intended for participant to complete work w/ help from mentors, they shouldn’t have to be working w/ 2-3 other participants. It should be an independent project.
    • What makes a proposal stand out?
      • See elements of a quality proposal
      • Person writing the proposal had actively involved in the community by submitting pull requests. By submitting bug reports by participating in code reviews it made them stand out if they were submitting interesting tests to the thing that they were considering.
    • What’s the timeline for potential participants? [AT]

March 7 - April 3- Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations

April 4 - 18:00 UTC- GSoC contributor application period begins

April 19 - 18:00 UTC - GSoC contributor application deadline

1 Like

Attending: Alyssa, Kris Stern, Mark Waite, Kristin Whetstone, Dheeraj, Vihaan Thora, Hrushikesh,

Agenda:

• Questions from potential GSoC contributors (feel free to add your questions via comments prior to the meeting)
    • [Vihaan Thora] :
        1. Could you please give a brief overview of the architecture that the pipeline step documentation generator uses in order to fetch the documentation?
        1. Will there be separate channels for every project where the potential students can discuss the ideas with the mentors while drafting a proposal? If not, what will be the procedure for the same?
    • [Dheeraj]
      • Do companies allow their employees to participate in programs like GSoC?
  • Upcoming due dates:

March 7 - April 3 - Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations

April 4 - 18:00 UTC - GSoC contributor application period begins

Attending: Alyssa Tong, Kris Stern, Kristin Whetstone, Aaryan Gautam, Wimukthi Indeewara

Agenda:

• Questions from potential GSoC contributors (feel free to add your questions via comments prior to the meeting)

• Aaryan: Question posted on GSoC Gitter re: Git Prune/ Git Fetch. Need clarification from Mark.

• A: Tag Mark with your specific question on Gitter.
  • Wimukthi:

• Q: Been working on automation specification generator for Jenkins rest API. Find it difficult to custom annotate the plugins given there’s so many.
      • A: Look to see what’s already there. Find a good example of a plugin that does offer an API endpoint. A lot like to have the same annotation so you wouldn’t have to worry about scraping code. Leverage what Jenkins already has like built in pieces. [KW]
    • Q: I don’t know why my proposal was rejected, I submitted my draft proposal and thought it was OK.
      • A: We receive many great proposals every year but unfortunately we can’t pick every great proposals. There’s only a few project ideas, and limited # of mentors available. The goal is to set you up for success and we want to make sure we have proper # of mentors and support if you’re accepted. [KW]
  • What does a good proposal look like?

• Should I send proposals directly to the mentoring organizations?

• A: No, all proposals must be submitted through the program site. Proposals submitted outside of the Google Summer of Code program site will not be considered for Google Summer of Code.
  • Can I submit more than one proposal?

• A: Yes, each GSoC Contributor may submit up to three proposals. However, only one per GSoC Contributor may be accepted. No more than one proposal per GSoC Contributor will be accepted, no matter how many proposals you submit.
  • What should I do to improve my chances of being selected as a GSoC contributor?

• Next office hours March 24, 2022 @ 2PM UTC [EMEA]

Based on my work with making a graphql plugin (maybe that would be a good future gsoc project), GitHub - jenkinsci/stapler: Stapler web framework is where a lot of the annotations and exporting comes from. Might be a good place to look as well.

Attending: Jean-Marc Meessen (org admin and mentor), Kris Stern (org admin and mentor), Vihaan Thora, Aditya Srivastava (mentor), Dheeraj Singh Jodha, Mark Waite (mentor), Yiming Gong

Agenda:

• How to do the “Data collection” phase in a scalable way? (plugin health score idea)
      • Mark Waite suggested a one hour brainstorming session dedicated to the plugin health score project idea. Gather mentors and interested participants for discussion and refinement
  • Questions about creating and publishing a preliminary contribution proposal
  • Brainstorming session on Automated maintenance of git caches on controller
    • See the brainstorming document
    • Should we use similar sessions for other project ideas?
    • Consider specific subtopics for discussion during the session
      • Collect Gitter questions as subtopics into an agenda for the session
  • Document template notes that GSoC timeline takes precedence over the timeline stated in the template
    • Proposed schedule lists some open ended questions, should they be answered or are they just intended to help the candidate with their proposal
    • Start, end, and milestone dates are fixed by Google, cannot be changed
    • Other dates are flexible so long as they fit within the Google mandated dates
      • Allows personal holiday times, etc.
1 Like

Attending: Alyssa, Mark Waite, Kristin Whetstone, Kris Stern, Aaryan Gautam, Vihaan Thora, Dheeraj Singh Jodha, Micah, Hrushikesh

Agenda:

• [Dheeraj] Questions related to Plugin Health Score:
      • How to collect and store “historical trends” of the health scores of a particular plugin?
        • Aim: To provide a historical view of the scores of a plugin.
        • Answer [MW]: i’m not yet convinced that we can deliver the scores through update center, we may have to provide a separate data service to do it. Because the update center load is already so heavy that to the people who manage update center, adding scoring to it will be overwhelmingly bad. There’s certainly a place to deliver a plugin and its health score is.
      • What do we mean by ‘monitoring’ under the ‘Data Delivery’ section?
        • Answer: See clip at 04:52 - 06:51
      • [Vihaan]: I may be able to complete 175 hours by the first evaluation, and offer same investment in the second evaluation. Is this acceptable?
        • Answer [MW]: The challenge is the mentor team has to be ready to support your efforts. This may be a bigger commitment than a mentor team is able to support due to 2X volume.
    • Mentors are aiming to complete proposal drafts review by April 4
  • Proposal drafts received:

Attending: Jean-Marc Meessen (org admin and mentor), Kris Stern, Dheeraj Singh Jodha

Agenda:

• Next EMEA Office Hour on April 21th, 2022 will have special arrangement due to JMM’s not being available on that day
    • [Dheeraj] Can we choose not to receive the GSoC stipend (if selected)?
    • Currently, not being able to login/register to GSoC site.

Notes: Brainstorm: "Plugin Health Score" - Google Docs

1 Like

Attending: Alyssa, Kris Stern, Mark Waite, Dheeraj Singh Jodha

Agenda:

• [Dheeraj] How is time utilized during community bonding?
      • [MW] Community bonding time is used to configure the environment, be sure you’re ready to do development, be sure you can run the code that you’re using as your basis locally. Be sure that you’ve got a working debugger, working compile environment that you can run tests in Jenkins environment. That you understand how to deal with pull requests, how to set up, submit them, how to interact with the mentors. Community bonding is a great time to do that because it lets us practice review processes and practice coding discussions, practice those kind of things before the project itself starts.