As part of today’s documentation office hours, @dheerajodha and I have agreed that we’ll create a tutorial and blog post on www.jenkins.io to outline some of the steps that can help a new contributor add value to a Jenkins plugin and prepare to adopt the plugin.
The content will be based on the “Contributing to Open Source” workshop that I presented at DevOps World 2021.
The document outlines small but meaningful improvements that can be made to plugins to improve them. The improvements are helpful even if the person submitting the pull requests does not ultimately decide to adopt the plugin.
Some of the steps include:
- Add a Jenkinsfile
- Update the parent pom
- Update base Jenkins version
- Enable additional spotbugs checks
- Update the SCM URL
- Enable dependabot for dependency management
- Enable incrementals
- Enable release drafter
- Migrate documentation to GitHub
- Improve Pipeline online help and documentation
- Convert common API dependencies to plugin dependencies
If you have other ideas of steps that would be good to include in that as part of modernizing a Jenkins plugin, please feel free to suggest them.